In December of 2008, Jared and I went to Colorado to visit some of Jared's family and go snow skiing. On our last day in Colorado, we went to visit Jared's great aunt (better known to the family as GAC). She offered us a signature cocktail of hers, described to me as a sort of "slushy cocktail". Of course I was all about that! However, I do not like brandy, so I was a little hesitant. She got a giant Ziploc bag out of the freezer and scooped its contents into a glass; I was confused. The only time I've ever seen liquor in a Ziploc bag is when it is being smuggled into a football game :) She took a cup of the slush, poured Sprite over it and handed it to me, and I was still apprehensive. Much to my surprise, it was so delicious and I ended up having about 4 of them. Thus was my first encounter with the "brandy slush".
After enjoying a "brandy slush" for the first time :)
Perhaps the reason that I am writing about the "brandy slush" is because I am currently making it. I am bringing it to our Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday and it needs to freeze for 48 hours before serving. I wanted to share this recipe because it is such a unique and fun seasonal drink. A perfect signature cocktail for a holiday party! Don't immediately assume that you won't like it because you don't like brandy; you can't even taste it. If you like Arnold Palmer's or the currently popular sweet tea vodka with lemonade drink, you will love this. It tastes sort of like a slushy version of that. The recipe is listed below, so try it out and enjoy!
"Brandy Slush" Recipe
Ingredients:
1.5 cups sugar
4 teabags
12 oz. can frozen OJ
12 oz. can frozen lemonade
2 cups brandy
2 liter Sprite
Ziploc freezer bag (gallon sized)
4 teabags
12 oz. can frozen OJ
12 oz. can frozen lemonade
2 cups brandy
2 liter Sprite
Ziploc freezer bag (gallon sized)
Directions:
1. Heat 5 cups of water and 1.5 cups of sugar until sugar dissolves
2. Boil 2 cups of water with 4 teabags
3. Let tea cool and then add tea to the sugar water
4. Add 12 oz. can of frozen OJ and 12 oz. can of frozen lemonade
5. Add 2 cups of brandy
6. Pour mixture into a gallon sized Ziploc freezer bag
7. Freeze for 48 hours
8. Scoop out a cup of slush mixture, pour Sprite over it and serve
Eat, Drink and Be Merry! Happy Holidays :)
Eat, Drink and Be Merry! Happy Holidays :)


i love this and i don't like brandy either! so yes people, try it! and... i loveeee the currently popular sweet tea vodka and lemonade... as we all already know :)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to make this! :) Thank you for posting the recipe.
ReplyDelete