Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bling Bling

Today, I am linking up with CMae at Happiness is... for her Bling Bling, Show Us Your Ring link-up! The purpose of this link-up is to show off your engagement or wedding bling and give the story behind it. In looking back through my blog, I don't think I've ever actually shared my proposal story or the significance of my ring with the blogging world. Therefore, I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to do so :)

So first, let's get to the bling...



The diamond in my engagement ring belonged to my grandmother. I have always wanted it and I am the only granddaughter on my mom's side of the family, so she gave it to Jared when he was going to propose to me. I absolutely love it and I always want it to be in a solitaire setting because I don't want any other diamonds being a distraction from my special diamond. 

My wedding band is around 100 years old. It belonged to my great-grandmother on my mom's side. My mom has been keeping it since my great-grandmother died and when it came time for me to choose a wedding band, this was the obvious choice. Extra diamonds are fun, but I love the fact that I get to wear a family heirloom with a cool story any day. 

Side note: I have no idea what the color and clarity of my diamond is...I'm sure it's listed on my appraisal...but I've never really cared enough to know. The cut is a marquis and it is 2 carats.   


Now, onto the proposal story...

Jared asked me to marry him on July 20, 2008 in Disney World. Side note: I really love Disney World, so that's probably why he chose to do it there. We had some park hopper passes that we had received as a gift that needed to be used so we just decided to take a random end of summer trip to Disney. 

We went to check into our hotel in the morning before going to the theme parks for the day. While we were checking into our hotel, one of the workers brought a flower arrangement out to me from the behind the lobby desk. It consisted of white carnations arranged to look like a pillow with a glass slipper on top. 


I opened the attached card and it said, "I don't know if the slipper will fit, but I bet the ring will" and when I turned around, Jared was down on one knee asking me to marry him. After I said yes, everyone in the hotel lobby started clapping. It was adorable and mildly embarrassing, but I was so shocked and excited that I didn't care. I guess one shoe really can change your life :)


After getting over the initial shock and calling my family and friends, we headed off to the Disney parks to celebrate out engagement! It was definitely the best trip to Disney ever :)


Hope you enjoyed my ring and my proposal story! 


25 comments:

  1. Awww such a sweet story!! Love it!
    And so special that you got jewellery that already belonged to the family... Makes it 1000 times as special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm.. that is so awesome that it was your grandmothers!!! :)
    It is a beautiful ring, with a beautiful story, and a beautiful past!!

    I also am a fan of the single diamond, so as not to take away from the one big one that matters ;)

    Very cute proposal story.. glad I found your blog! you are so adorable!!
    I just linked up my ring on cmae's bling bling link up and saw yours and had to click over and see the story with it!

    New follower for sure!!

    lovelovelove,
    moo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg that is the CUTEST proposal story :) and your ring is sooo pretty! what a fabulous story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your proposal story! So cute! (Plus it was at Disney which I love!) But the fact that both your rings belonged to your grandmothers is just the sweetest! How neat to have those heirlooms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ring is gorgeous! Love the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful ring! And I love that it's an heirloom, it makes it that much more special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sweet. my setting is made from my grandmothers and my diamond was my mothers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rings are beautiful. I love your story. It is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so special! I love the family meaning behind your rings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looove that it was your grandmother's! So special!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt the same way about having a solitare setting! I didn't want any other diamonds on band bec I didn't want it to take away from the main stone! :) Thank you SOOOO MUCH for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!! That ring is gorgeous! I love that it has been such a special piece for so many women in your life! And hey you could always add a skinny band of diamonds down the road if you're dying for the etxra sparkle! I love the look of mixed bands!

    Found your blog through the link up, new follower!

    www.namelessfornow1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here from the link up!

    What a wonderful story, and I love the history behind your ring!

    I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic engagement story. And I love that your rings are family heirlooms, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVED Reading your post on this! :) Such a fun link up! Happy to have found your cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did you happen to stay at the Port Orleans Riverside? The lobby looks familiar. That's where we stayed on our honeymoon, so what a coincidence that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm kind of jealous bc I always thought it would be so cool to be a part of a family heirloom like that. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet story and your ring is stunning!!! I love that it has been passed down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A fellow linkup participant here ... I absolutely love that it is your grandmother's ring. It is so meaningful & absoltuely gorgeous. I loved reading about your story! I hope you can check mine out :)

    Sheila xo
    http://livelaughlovemrsrj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your ring it is so beautiful!!

    xoxo
    Petchie
    http://itsallofthelittlethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. my fiance and i got engaged at disneyland last February!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh!!! This is the cutest story ever!!

    That ring is gorgeous...and even MORE special that it was your grandma's too. SO sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous rings!! It's nice to have a family heirloom like that. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete