Thursday, March 5, 2015

Scripture Memory {Verse 5}

I'm finally back on track (for now) with posting my verses here on the blog. I am five verses into this scripture memorization project for the year and I am truly enjoying it. I never really thought that something as simple as memorizing a few bible verses could really be life changing, but it is. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself and see what happens :)

P.S. - In case you missed the explanation on what I am doing here...short version: I'm memorizing 24 bible verses this year in order to help me get more into the gospel and grow spiritually. Long version: Read my blog post about it here.

My fifth memory verse for 2015 is Psalm 27:14...

Are we sensing a trend here? If you are thinking that I tend to choose a lot of verses that relate to patience, God's plan and waiting, then you are correct. Clearly, this is an area in which I struggle. When it comes to my personal life, I am a planner. I like to be in control, make a plan and execute it according to schedule. Then life intervenes and my whole plan goes up in flames. Ultimately, I have to end up being patient and waiting on God to execute His perfect plan for my life instead. And I suck at it. I am not good at being patient, or releasing control over my life plans. Ironically, I used to be a middle school teacher which requires an insane amount of patience. In the classroom, I had patience for days. And yet, in my personal life, I have zero patience. My journey in learning to have more patience and faith in God's plan is going on years now, but I'm constantly working hard at it and improving each day. Hence the verse I have chosen here.

I love how this verse instructs us to "wait on the Lord" twice in the same sentence. Because only one time is simply not enough. It's telling us right off the bat, "wait on the Lord", and then just in case you didn't hear it the first time, it's ends the verse by telling us once again to "wait on the Lord". It's almost as though the words are standing right in front of you, waving a red flag and telling you to look over here, the answer is right here! All you have to do is wait on the Lord. Simple, but easier said than done, right? Oh, and while you are busy waiting around on Him, you also need to "be strong and take heart". In case waiting on Him isn't difficult enough already. This other reminder is just as important as being patient in the first place. In the midst of "waiting on the Lord", we often tend to lose our courage, our faith and our hope, especially if the waiting takes what we deem as being too long. The longer we have to wait, the harder it is to stay strong, faithful and hopeful. However, keeping our faith and hope during the wait is what keeps us going. Without faith and hope, we will ultimately give up on ourselves and even give up on God.

It took me losing all of my strength, faith and hope during what seemed like the longest wait of my entire life to make me realize how desperately I needed them and God. By memorizing this verse, I hope to remind myself that when I am faced with an obstacle in my life plan, that I must wait on Him for I know that His plan is a greatest of all. And while I am waiting, I must stay strong in my faith and believe that He will see me through. I must stay hopeful in what is to come because even though I do not know what He has in store for me, I must have hope in that whatever He has waiting for me is going to be better than I ever could have imagined. So if you are praying to God about something and wondering why He won't answer you, remember that sometimes you just have to listen and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment