Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tragic Update

On Monday, I posted about a former student of mine who was critically injured last weekend in a drive-by shooting. You can read my initial post here: A Teacher's Worst Nightmare

Today was 8th grade orientation at my school. Friends and classmates of my former student, Megan, returned to school today to find something at their orientation that you don't find at a normal 8th grade orientation. Grief counselors.

Megan had been in critical condition due to the life-threatening injuries she sustained during the shooting since Saturday morning when the incident occurred. She was taken off of life support yesterday evening and late last night she passed away. So this morning as students and teachers were gearing up for orientation, we learned of Megan's passing. I can imagine that returning to school today was probably very difficult for some of those students and I know that beginning their 8th grade year on Monday without Megan will be heartbreaking as well.

Here is the most recent news update: Police plead for help finding killers

Please pray for both of the families of these girls. Pray for my school family, as many of us have taught and loved Megan over the past two years. Pray that we as teachers will know how to comfort our students who show up hurting on the first day of school next week. Pray for all of the students at my school who were friends or classmates of Megan, as well as the students that will be joining us in 6th grade who attended elementary school with Jazmine. I can't imagine having to deal with the loss of a friend or classmate at such a young age. Pray that the authorities can find out who is responsible for this tragedy and bring them to justice for these girls and their families. Thank you for your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Such a tragedy! I really hope they find the people responsible for taking these innocent lives <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so sorry to hear about this. I will most definitely be praying for you all. I;m also a teacher and can't imagine starting the year with something so tragic! :(

    ReplyDelete