Monday, April 25, 2011

Atlantic Beach

This weekend I got to celebrate my birthday again! I had a 4-day weekend, thank you Duval County Public Schools, so Jared and I decided to spend part of it at the beach. Jared and I live really far away from the beach, especially the beach that we like to go to. I mean seriously, I have to pass by pastures of cows in order to get to Publix, so there is definitely no beach anywhere near me. Sometimes we go to the beach in St. Augustine, which is the closest, only about 30 minutes away. Our favorite beach to go to is Atlantic Beach, which is about 45 minutes from our house. Not only do we like going to the actual beach there, but we also like the restaurants and bars in that area as well. However, driving all the way out there during the day is bad enough without having to come all the way home to shower and head back out there for the evening.

For my birthday present, Jared got us a reservation at One Ocean on Atlantic Beach. We weren't able to use it on my actual birthday because that was the weekend of the Spring Game and we all know that FSU football has priority over everything else, especially in my life. So we decided that this 4-day weekend would be the perfect time to cash in on our little beach vacation.


On Friday around lunchtime, we packed up the car and headed out to Atlantic Beach. We spent the day in our beach chairs, drinking beer and people watching. Going to the beach in Jacksonville is always a unique experience; there are just so many diverse looking people in one location. Oh and you can't forget the tourists, who think it is ok to let their kids to throw snacks to the seagulls, thus creating a swarm of seagulls attacking everyone on the beach. 

After spending a few hours on the beach, we headed up to our hotel to check-in and get ready for our evening out. One Ocean is super nice and very pretty. Our room had a view of the beach and one of my favorite places, Lemon Bar. 

The view from our room at One Ocean. You can see the little yellow umbrellas at Lemon Bar...


Jared and I met up with Boden, Brian and Scotty for our evening out in Atlantic Beach. Me and a bunch of boys...the usual. First, we went to dinner at Sliders which was super yummy as always. Next, we went for drinks at Lemon Bar which is my favorite. I've never been there at night though, so that was fun even though I was really cold...thanks a lot ocean breeze. After that, we went to Island Girl for drinks and cigars. Well, the boys had cigars and I just had pink wine :) 

Jared and I parted ways with the other guys after that and went back to the hotel, which was a good thing considering how Jared was feeling the next morning.

Saturday morning, I was up bright and early ready for the beach and Jared would not get out of bed. So I went down stairs, got my car out of valet and drove to McDonald's to get us some greasy breakfast. I'm pretty sure that the valet guys were judging me for bringing fast food breakfast into their 5-star resort. I ate my breakfast and Jared was still immobile. We had our hotel room until noon, so I was not going to waste time taking full advantage of the resort with or without him. 

The pool was crowded, so I set off for the beach. Being on the beach in the morning is awesome because there aren't a ton of people and it doesn't feel like the surface of the sun yet.


I spent the next two hours soaking up the sun on my towel and walking up and down the beach. I didn't want to go home so soon, but I knew that we had to check out and there was no way I was going to be able to convince Jared to go back out to the beach with me after check-out. So I went and retrieved him from the room and we headed home. 

Lucky for me it was still nice and sunny when we got home; so while Jared set up camp on our couch, I set up my lounge chair in the backyard and continued my tanning :) 

I had a great two days out at the beach and if you are ever looking for somewhere to stay close to the beach in Jacksonville, One Ocean is awesome. It was so nice to feel like we were on vacation, but we didn't even have to leave town. I think we will probably do this again over the summer, as I always love a little beach get-a-way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment