I love weddings! I absolutely just love everything about a wedding. While there isn't a single thing that I would change about my own wedding, I still love watching wedding shows and looking at pictures of other people's weddings. I mean, what could be more fun than helping someone celebrate the best day of their life?
When I heard about the upcoming Royal Wedding, I was of course ecstatic! It mixes two things which I absolutely love, weddings and tradition. It kind of makes me wish that we had such an extravagant tradition like the Royal Family here in America. I also happen to think that Kate Middleton is amazing. She's gorgeous, I have never seen her wear an outfit I didn't love and she has nice teeth, which is surprising considering she's British :) Plus, everyone loves a good fairytale, especially me.
For the past week, there have been tons of Royal Wedding shows and movies about William and Kate all over the television. So of course I couldn't resist having them on while I grade papers and write lesson plans. It was especially fun to see all the places in London that I have actually been before. My mom and I took a trip to London in 2008 and all this Royal Wedding fuss made me want to go back and look at all our pictures from the trip. Here is a picture of me on our trip at Buckingham Palace...in the era of blonde hair Jacki :)
Yesterday was the big day! I set my alarm for 5am because I knew that the wedding started at 11am in London and for some reason I was under the impression that London is 6 hours ahead of us...wrong. It didn't matter anyways though because I magically woke up at 3:45am and could not go back to sleep. So at 4am I turned on the pre-wedding coverage and watched it from my bed. About 15 minutes into watching the news, I noticed a little wedding countdown timer in the corner of the screen and it said there was 1 hour and 45 minutes to go. This was when I discovered that London is only 5 hours ahead of us...oops. I managed to fall back asleep for about an hour and woke back up just in time for all the important people to start arriving at Westminster Abbey.
I watched the arrival of all the family members and of course Kate's big moment getting out of the car while I was simultaneously getting ready for work. Kate's wedding gown was absolutely beautiful! I obviously would not have worn something like it at my own wedding because it was pretty poofy and long sleeved, but considering she had to have her arms covered in the church and she was becoming a princess, I thought it was perfect for her. Yet, my absolute favorite dress of the whole wedding was worn by the maid of honor, Pippa. It was gorgeous and she looked amazing in it.
All the traditional British pomp and circumstance was what really made the wedding worth watching. It really made me want to go out and buy a fancy hat...though I have no idea where I would wear it to. I have always wanted to attend something that required a fancy hat in the dress code. Since a Royal Wedding only happens like every 30 years and I'm obviously not going to be invited to one, I guess I'll just have to work on getting myself to the Kentucky Derby or something.
I was able to watch most of the wedding ceremony while I was getting ready for work, but then I had to go to work and let my DVR record the rest for later. Once I got to school, I plugged my projector into the cable outlet in my classroom and was able to watch the news while I was getting ready for class. I turned it on just in time to see them come out on the balcony at Buckingham Palace for the kiss. I felt empathy for Prince William when they were talking about how he doesn't like PDA because I feel the same way. Considering I high-fived my husband at our wedding...and then I kissed him :)
Once school started, I had about 10 students all day since the rest of my students were on the field trip. So in honor of the Royal Wedding, we had a Harry Potter marathon! It was a wonderful Friday.
After work, my mom came over to my house and we enjoyed some pizza and wine while we watched all the wedding coverage that I recorded on my DVR. I was kind of sad that they didn't let the cameras into the reception because I really wanted to see all of that, but I totally understand why they wanted that to be private. I did get up this morning and look at the pictures online from the reception and once again Kate and Pippa had amazing dresses! I'm sure that they all had an amazing time and that we will be seeing a lot of the Prince and Princess in the future.
Whether you actually care about the Royal Family and the wedding, or not, this was still a very historical event. I feel like this will be one of those things where 30 years down the road when the next Royal Wedding takes place, we will all be saying "I remember where I was when Prince William (he'll probably be King by then) got married". Seeing as how my mom told me that she remembers taking the day off of work to stay home and watch Charles and Diana's wedding 30 years ago.
I'm just glad that I'm already married since I know that wedding planning will now be forever changed because of this wedding. Just wait, I guarantee that there will soon be many wedding gowns out there that look exactly like Kate's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment