Friday, May 27, 2011

Summer Job

I thought that once I became an adult and got a career that searching for jobs would be over. However, the best thing about being a teacher is having the summer off, and the worst thing about being a teacher is having the summer off because I have to get another job. One of these days, Jared will hopefully make enough money to where I don't have to get a summer job, which would be glorious...but until then, the summer job search continues...

When I graduated from college in May of 2009, I could not find a job. I must have applied for 100 jobs, literally, and got nothing. So there I sat in my new house, married, with a college degree and unemployed. Finally, one day I went into the Tropical Smoothie by my parents' house and asked if they were hiring. They were reluctant, but once I told them that I worked at Tropical Smoothie in Tallahassee when I was in college so I wouldn't have to be trained, they hired me immediately. Thank the lord, I finally had a temporary job! So there I was, married and with a college degree, making $7.50 an hour at Tropical Smoothie. This economy sucks. I worked there for 4 months and continued my search for an actual career job.

The school district finally lifted their hiring freeze in late-September, so I started sending my resumes to principals of middle and high schools. Hours after sending my resume to my current principal, I got an email and an interview. On the day of my interview, I sat in that middle school front office with 3 other girls waiting for interviews as well...all of them wearing black pantsuits, and me, in a bright pink J.Crew dress. They looked at me like I was insane, but guess who walked out of that office with a job offer :)

After becoming a teacher, I thought that my days of applying for meaningless, minimum wage jobs was over. Last summer, I went back to my job at Tropical Smoothie, but that opportunity is no longer available now due to a change in management. So here I go again, on the search for a job that probably pays nothing, where I'll probably have to work on the weekends or at night. I am off of school today due to the Memorial Day holiday, so I will be spending my day off looking for summer jobs.

I absolutely hate applying for jobs, and I am dreading what I have to do today. On the other hand, I know that if I don't find a job for the summer then Jared is going to be pissed and we are not going to be able to go anywhere or do anything for the entire summer, and I will be trapped in my house and forced to clean it all day everyday. So here goes nothing. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment