Saturday, May 28, 2011

Celebrate America

I hope that everyone has lots of fun festivities planned for this Memorial Day weekend! My bestie, Casey and I usually make it a point to spend all patriotic holidays together because it gives us a good excuse to dress in theme and do something American. Last year, Memorial Day involved us frolicking on National Monuments in St. Augustine as well as enjoying a beautiful beach outing in our matching American flag bikinis. We also spent 4th of July together last year, climbing up a mountain in Tennessee to visit a Civil War battlefield and monument. Unfortunately, Casey and I are spending this Memorial Day weekend apart, hence the abundance of Facebook and Twitter tributes we have made to each other thus far this weekend...sorry about that, we are just incomplete without each other :)

This Memorial Day weekend should be nice and relaxing, not to mention a good time for me to celebrate the fact that I only have 9 more days with my students until summer! I am dying to go to the beach this weekend...someone please take me to the beach...because my tan is starting to fade and that is definitely not acceptable. On Sunday, Jared and I are hosting a fish fry at our house as our main Memorial Day celebration, and don't worry there will definitely be sparklers involved :)


We all enjoy Memorial Day for a number of reasons: a day off of work, a reason to party with friends and family, a reason to drink and have a cookout, a excuse to dress up in the most ridiculous red, white and blue outfit you can find, a reason for me to change the holiday decor in my house, and of course a reason to celebrate all that things that we can do because we live in America.

However, let's not forget the real reason why we have this day off of work, this day to party and have a good time. Remember those who fight for our freedom everyday, and their families who must go about their daily lives while their loved ones are half a world away. As you frolick about town this weekend, make sure that you stop and say "thank you" to every soldier, active or veteran, that you see. Be thankful that we live in such a great nation and spend this weekend celebrating the ones who made that freedom possible. So while you are out there partying on the beach, the sandbar or in your own backyard, make sure you drink one for America :) Happy Memorial Day!

God Bless America

2 comments:

  1. I love that you change your layout for each holiday Jacki! I hope you have a great memorial day weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks love! I get antsy and bored with my blog layouts pretty quickly, so I like to change them often :) Have a great Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete