This past weekend, my alumnae chapter hosted our annual Founders' Day Brunch. This is probably one of my favorite events of the entire year because it honors our heritage and celebrates the traditions and rituals that our sorority was founded upon. One of the best things about being president of a Phi Mu chapter is getting to lead ritual ceremonies. It was my favorite part of being a collegiate chapter president at FSU and it is still my favorite part of being our alumnae chapter president. Without our ritual, Phi Mu is simply a social organization. Our ritual is what makes us a fraternity. (Sidenote: Phi Mu was the 2nd women's Greek organization ever founded and it was founded before the existence of the word "sorority" which is why we are technically called a fraternity.)
Performing the ritual this year was particularly special for me because of Peyton. Phi Mu has always been something special just for me, but now that I am going to have my own legacy to share it with, it makes this sisterhood even more important in my life. Technically, Peyton was there and heard our ritual already so now she has no choice but to become a Phi Mu. Just kidding...or not. Maybe since she technically performed her first Phi Mu ritual in utero, she will one day become a Phi Mu chapter president too. Ok, now I'm getting way ahead of myself. Just stop, Jacki.
Seriously though, my dream is for Peyton to become a Phi Mu one day. And yes, I realize that she might not go to FSU and that she might pledge another sorority. But Jared and I are going to try our hardest to brainwash our children from an early age that they can only attend FSU and they can only pledge Phi Mu and Kappa Sigma. Ok, I am so kidding. Only just a little though. Alright, back to being serious. I am hoping that my love and dedication to Phi Mu will set a good example for Peyton as to what being in a sorority is really about. I hope that she will recognize how much Phi Mu means to me and perhaps that will inspire her to pledge Phi Mu too. However, if she chooses to go another route, I will support her in that as well. But there are already quatrefoils in her nursery, so I think we are off to a good start :)
It might not be Thursday yet, but I figured that Founders' Day was a good opportunity for some Phi Mu throwback photos...
My Bid Day 2005. Back when denim skirts were in style, I had blonde hair and was pre-rhinoplasty. It was raining that day, as it does everyday in August in Tallahassee. Plus, we had already jumped in the Wescott Fountain...I'm so glad that FSU Panhellenic tradition is still going strong. This photo also just made me realize that next Founders' Day I will be celebrating my 10 year anniversary of pledging and being initiated into Phi Mu. Oye vey.
Founders' Day 2008. I was president of our collegiate chapter at this time and a group of us came over to what is now my own alumnae chapter to present one of their members (she was initiated at our FSU chapter in 1933) with her 75 year membership pin.
FSU Graduation 2009. Leaving Tallahassee and FSU behind, but taking Phi Mu, my sisters and so many wonderful memories on with me.
My wedding day 2009. Having my Phi Mu sisters sing to me on my special day was my favorite part of my wedding. Don't worry, Jared understands :)
Happy Founders' Day to all my Phi Mu sisters!






No comments:
Post a Comment