As we hit this monthly milestone, here is what Miss Peyton has been up to in her first month of life. I'm not going to rewrite all the stuff I already shared in my other 4 weekly posts from this month, so if you need a little recap you can read them here: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, and Week 4.
Weight/Length: As of July 15th (1 month 2 days old), Peyton weighed 10 lbs. 4 1/2 oz. and measured 22 3/4 inches long.
Hair: Peyton still has light brown hair; however, it is starting to fall out and be replaced with an even lighter shade. It has started falling out mostly on the top so it appears as though she has an epic receding hairline. The hair on top of her head is currently the lightest and then it gets darker as it goes back with the darkest shade (and most amount of hair) at her neck. I'm interested to see what color her hair ends up being. Jared and I were both born with light brown hair, which then proceeded to fall out and be replaced with blonde hair. We were both "towheads" from a few months old until elementary school. So we will see if Peyton's hair does the same.
Eyes: Peyton still has blue-gray eyes. They are a little lighter now than when she was first born. Jared and I both had blue-gray eyes as babies. His eventually turned brown and mine stayed blue for 15 months (which apparently is longer than normal for a baby's eyes to change) until mine eventually turned into a greenish hazel. I can't wait to see what color eyes Peyton ends up having. My bet is probably brown.
Diapers: We have been using Pampers Swaddlers Size 1 since the day she was born. In the hospital nursery, the very first diaper they tried to put on her was a Size Newborn and it was too small around her legs so we have been in Size 1 since Day 1. For this entire month, she kept having a recurring diaper rash which was super annoying because I could tell it was bothering her and we were having to coat her bottom in Desitin constantly. With as much as this child goes to the bathroom, we were going through Desitin like crazy. It is very difficult (and time consuming) to get Desitin on her bottom without getting it all over her and myself in the process because she is so wiggly. Plus, most of the time I would just finish getting the Desitin and new diaper on her and I kid you not, 30 seconds later, she would go to the bathroom again. So there would go a whole bunch of wasted time and Desitin. We were getting so sick of this diaper rash business that we did a little research and decided to try out the Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive. Yes, they are more expensive...but so worth it. The diaper rash is gone, we are no longer slaves to the Desitin, and she doesn't get nearly as upset as quickly when her diaper is wet. I'll spend a little extra money for my sanity any day.
Clothing: She has typically been wearing 0-3 month clothing and some of her smaller 3 month clothing. However, she is starting to outgrow most of her 0-3 month clothing in length. It still fits right now, but it's getting pretty snug. We will be strictly in 3 month clothing here any day now. She basically wears onesies all of the time. She gets hot easily and doesn't like her arms/legs/hands/feet covered, so onesies are her favorite. She also likes just being in a diaper. For bedtime, she wears gowns so that we can keep her a little warmer since we turn our A/C down at night. However, she still wants her feet sticking out of the bottom of the gown and no blankets. She does not like hats or socks or mittens of any sort. I don't blame her, I hate all of those things too. I still wear flip flops when it's 40 degrees outside because I hate having my feet covered up...I guess I see where she gets this from.
Favorite Things: Those Soothie pacifiers and WubbaNubs are my lifesavers. We have at least one in every room in our house and she loves them. She loves to do tummy time and play on her play mat. She gets so smiley and happy when mommy plays the Disney Pandora station on her iPhone.
Likes: Mommy singing Disney songs to her, WubbaNub pacifiers, her play mat, listening to music, staring at light fixtures and ceiling fans, being talked to and watching faces, laying on Daddy's chest, holding on to your fingers, being held up to your shoulder, being propped up on your knees so she can look at your face, flailing her arms and legs, and being naked.
Dislikes: Her car seat, being wrapped or confined in any way, anything that covers her arms/legs/hands/feet, being dried off after her bath (she doesn't hate the actual bathing part so much anymore), being burped, being in her swing for too long, having a wet diaper, and when she knocks her paci out of her mouth and can't get it back.
Feeding patterns: We are still exclusively breastfeeding, and Peyton gets one 6 oz. bottle of breast milk for her last feeding every night. She eats every 4 hours during the day until she goes to bed at night. Then she goes without eating for 6+ hours at night while she is sleeping. It doesn't seem like she's eating nearly as often as other babies her age, but she must be taking in enough when she does eat because she is happy and content all the time, she is gaining weight, she sleeps well and she pees and poops at least once at every feeding. I figure if she wasn't getting enough food then she would surely let me know. We are going to try changing up her feeding schedule a little bit to get her to eat more often throughout the day (suggested by one pediatrician), but I'm not sure if we will end up sticking to that or not because she is perfectly healthy and happy with the routine she is on right now. And if it's not "baroque", don't fix it right? I just couldn't resist throwing in that Beauty and the Beast reference right there.
Sleeping patterns: During the day, Peyton takes naps roughly 2 hours in length after each feeding. We follow the "feed, wake, sleep" routine (if you are familiar with the BabyWise book...Disclaimer: I do not follow everything in the BabyWise book, but I do like this "feed, wake, sleep" routine and it works well for us). She will eat, then be awake and play for about an hour, and then take a nap. About 15 minutes before we hit the four hour mark, she wakes up and I change her and then we start the whole routine all over again. At night she sleeps for about 6+ hours and we are currently working on backing her bedtime up so we can get her to bed earlier. For the past few nights, she has slept for 7.5 hours! She is currently sleeping from about 10:30pm - 6am...of course this varies depending on the night.
Month One Milestones: Peyton smiles and coos all the time especially when people talk or sing to her. She constantly has her hands up by her face or mouth, she will even grab onto her WubbaNub while it's in her mouth and hold it sometimes. She does tummy time every day and has even started picking her head up and turning it from one side to the other while on her tummy. She still sleeps in her pack n' play in our bedroom at night, but she takes her daytime naps in her crib in her nursery. She already sleeps through the night and this mama is extra thankful for that blessing! She went on her first shopping trip, her first time in a restaurant, her first road trip to Tallahassee and her first wedding all this month!
Mama Thoughts: I survived! Being a brand new (and completely inexperienced) mom on top of all the postpartum care that delivering an almost 10 pound baby involves, left me exhausted and overwhelmed at first. However, this little nugget is literally the light of my life and I love getting to spend all my time at home with her. Every day is different and completely unpredictable, but so much fun. We have our little rough moments, but for the most part I am extremely lucky to have such a laid back and content baby. She's a little sweetheart and we are so blessed to have her in our lives. Obviously, I'm obsessed with her.
Happy One Month to our little girl! I can't wait to see what month two has in store for us!


No comments:
Post a Comment