Saturday, February 12, 2011

Give a Weekend, Save a Life

When I was in college, this was always one of my favorite weekends of the school year. It was no secret around the Phi Mu house that I absolutely loved Dance Marathon! I would try and recruit anyone and everyone to participate in Dance Marathon because I truly believed that it was one of the best experiences that you could have at Florida State. Now that I am an alumna, I still wish that I was at Dance Marathon every year when this weekend rolls around.

Dance Marathon is the largest student-run philanthropy at Florida State. The concept started at Penn State University and now tons of schools all over the country participate in a similar event. DM at FSU raises money for Children's Miracle Network and FSU College of Medicine. Every year, about 900 students at Florida State participate as "dancers" in this event, and an additional 1,000 students volunteer in different capacities to facilitate this event. As a "dancer" you are required to stand for 32 hours...no sleeping, laying down, sitting, kneeling, squatting, etc. I know it sounds crazy, but it is definitely do-able.

Dance Marathon has been at Florida State for 16 years now and has recently been altered from that way it was run when I was a student. Dancers now spend 20 hours on their feet and dance in shifts. During my DM experiences, everyone who signed up to dance had to spend 32 hours straight on their feet. When I was a freshmen and first heard about this event, I thought that standing for 32 hours straight would be nearly impossible. However, I was easily talked into participating in the event because I have always been quite the philanthropy enthusiast. In addition, our Phi Mu chapter has always been big on participating in Dance Marathon because DM benefits Children's Miracle Network, which also happens to be Phi Mu's National Philanthropy.

DM 2006 - Freshmen Year

After my experience freshmen year, I was hooked. I made myself a promise that I would dance in Dance Marathon for all four years that I was in college. So when the time to register rolled around sophomore year, I was the first person in Phi Mu to sign up. I also convinced my best friend, Casey, to dance with me. That was her first and last year dancing in Dance Marathon :) 

DM 2007 - Sophomore Year

After Casey almost killed me for making her endure the horror of standing for 32 hours, we decided that she could just be my "dancer buddy" for the next 2 years and bring me goodies during the event. Dance Marathon my junior year was both amazing and terrible at the same time. I was so pumped for that year's event because I was President of Phi Mu that year and determined for us to place in the awards ceremony. My little and grand-little were also by my side and I was so proud that my whole family was dancing that year!

Unfortunately, that year took a turn for the worse 2 days before the event was to happen. I got really sick and was diagnosed with a kidney infection. The doctor told me not to participate in Dance Marathon, but I was determined to not break my promise to myself so I danced anyways. About half way through the event, the DM Staff had to force me to leave the dance floor because I was so sick and a liability to them. Against doctors orders, I returned to the event at the very end just in time to see my Phi Mu ladies take home the 2nd Place Overall award! 

DM 2008 - Junior Year

Dance Marathon senior year was bliss. Having participated the 3 years before, this year was a piece of cake. I was a pro at this point. My room mate, Rachel, was our DM Rep. for Phi Mu this year and I pretty sure that everyone wanted to kill Rachel and I on the morning of Dance Marathon because we were so excited and peppy! It was truly a wonderful way to end my 4 years at FSU and all my hard work for Dance Marathon. Phi Mu even took home another 2nd Place Overall award!  

DM 2009 - Senior Year

Participating in Dance Marathon for all four years of college is something that I am so glad I did...even if I did have to stand for 128 hours :)

To anyone who has ever participated in Dance Marathon, you know what it takes to get you through those 32 hours. It might be Red Bull, board games, coloring books, candy, Starbucks, smoothies or that bucket of rice to give your feet a massage.

For me, it just wouldn't be Dance Marathon without...

The official line dance...

Using the Kappa Sig boys as a place to take a nap at 3am...

The opportunity to wear a ridiculous costume for no reason...

...and one of the best experiences of a lifetime :)

To everyone who is at Dance Marathon this weekend, just keep dancing! Remember that you are making a huge difference in someone else's life, and even though you are tired and in pain now, when you look back on this experience you will be so glad you did it! I'm so proud of you :)

For more information about Dance Marathon at FSU: http://dm.fsu.edu/

No comments:

Post a Comment