Monday, February 7, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away

I think that all this rain and cold weather is starting to make me irritable and crazy. It is rather difficult to deal with middle schoolers when the weather outside is so dark and depressing. Today went pretty well aside from the usual ridiculous things that my students do because they just don't know how to use common sense. Unfortunately for my students, the rain was putting me in a bad mood so I was not even remotely able to tolerate their nonsense today.

During first period, some of my students were putting their planners up in air (this is what they use as a restroom pass) while I was in the middle of teaching. First of all, they know better than to interrupt my teaching for that. And secondly, I was angry that they just assumed that I was going to stop what I was doing to come sign their planner, like they assumed that I was going to allow them to go to the restroom in the middle of my lesson. The first and second kids that did this were nicely informed by me that this was not the best time or the correct way to ask permission. However, kids number 3 and 4 got the angry wrath of Mrs. Roche. I slammed down my textbook and demanded that one of those kids explain to me why he thinks that using the restroom is more important that what I am trying to teach them. So sorry children, but they pay me to actually teach you something, not write hall passes all day. Immediately, all those planners were shoved back into their backpacks and they were attentive and ready to learn. Needless to say, my first period kids probably won't be going to the restroom during my class for a while.

The rest of the day was fine, aside from people assigning us random stuff to do at the last minute. Since, you know, we have nothing better to do during the day and can just throw things together at a moments notice...sorry but I'm too busy doing my actual job, teaching the students.

I left work around 5:00 and had the joy of driving my terrible commute home with the idiot drivers of Jacksonville who don't know how to drive in the rain. As I approached I-95, I noticed that there was an overwhelming abundance of brake lights ahead...awesome. I decided to take the long way home to avoid the traffic and as I passed over I-95, it was just as I had guessed, a parking lot. Even though I didn't have to sit on I-95, I did have to take US-1 home which is way out of the way and has a million stop lights and construction zones. About an hour and half later, I was finally home, thank God....or so I thought.

As soon as I walked in the door, the smell hit me like a ton of bricks...I seriously contemplated turning around and walking right back out the door. I would know that smell anywhere and it had already infiltrated my entire house. I turned on the light and looked inside Sadie's kennel and there she was, covered in poop. So after I stopped cussing and fighting back the urge to vomit from the smell, I dragged her kennel out to the porch. I have to drag the kennel with her in it because otherwise she would track poop all over my carpet. I get her outside and put the kennel in the corner of the patio. I would clean it out myself, but it is pouring rain outside, so that will be Jared's job when he gets home.

Now, on to my bigger problem. Sadie has poop on her and I usually bathe her outside. However, it is raining and I really don't feel like getting drenched in 40 degree weather. Also, I don't want to put her in the shower because then that means I have to get in the shower with her, and that is a terrible experience. In the end, my solution to this is to bathe her in my bathtub. Side note: Sadie hates getting a bath. Therefore, she was not really keen on jumping into the bathtub on her own. So while Sadie tries to anchor herself to the floor, I attempt to lift her 50+ pound body, which has poop all over it, into the bathtub. I succeeded and she was pissed. We both survived the bath; however, my bathroom is a hot mess...water and dog hair everywhere.

After the bath, I tried to get rid of the poop stench that has been soaking into my house all day. I get out my Febreeze and scented candles and get to work. Now, my house smells like a mixture of Febreeze, dog poop and sugar cookies...Yankee Candle should make that a scent, gag.

So I am treating myself to a large glass of wine because I think I deserve it :)
  

1 comment:

  1. this event reminds of the times that children do this very thing (well not that mine ever did :)... okay, i did not keep them in kennels, but cribs are close...
    while you can get them into a tub easier than a dog, they cry and then you have to wash all the laundry when they do that!! poor sadie, tell my grand dog i love her. now about those students of yours... tell them that the BIG mrs. roche (not my name anymore, we know but let's use it!) says that you are an amzing teacher, best they learn to stay in their seats... maybe one day i can come in and read to them... i would love that!! you are amazing. tell them i said that. i could appear in puppet form!! xox

    ReplyDelete