Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pineapple Salsa Mahi-Mahi

When Jared and I first started dating, he asked me what kind of fish was my favorite to eat. My response, Long John Silvers. I'm surprised that he didn't dump me right then and there. Being from the Florida Keys, Jared is used to really good seafood. Not frozen, deep fried fish from the drive thru. I, however, am really really really picky about my seafood. I like shrimp, crab cakes and any kind of white fish that doesn't actually taste like fish. I also prefer my seafood deep fried. The less seafood-y it tastes, the better. Ultimately, I am pretty much an embarrassment to the state of Florida. Over the years, I have been brave enough to try quite the variety of seafood which mostly reaffirmed the fact that I don't like anything with a real "fishy" taste. My go to fish is always Mahi-Mahi.

Jared and I hardly ever cook fish at home. We mostly stick to chicken and steak (if it was up to me, it would be red meat every day, yum). This week, we got a wild  hair to cook up some Mahi and I was slightly terrified. I didn't want to put all this effort into cooking the fish and then me not like it. Don't worry, I had my box of Cheez-its ready in case I needed a Plan B for dinner. Surprisingly, this recipe came out very delicious and I really enjoyed it. Plus, it was pretty healthy. So if you like Mahi, be sure to try out this recipe in your own kitchen!


Ingredients:
2 Mahi-Mahi fillets (about 6 oz. each)
2 servings of organic brown rice 
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks 
1/2 cup fresh tomato salsa
1 tsp. prepared horseradish
1 tsp. honey mustard
1/4 tsp. lemon pepper


Chop pineapple into small chunks. Combine pineapple with salsa, horseradish, and honey mustard in a bowl and set aside. This will be used as the topping for the fish fillets. 


Cook the organic brown rice according to the directions on the package and set aside. Dice the green, red and yellow bell peppers and sauté them in a pan. Add the sautéed peppers to the rice.  


Coat both sides of the fish with cooking spray, then sprinkle with lemon pepper. Preheat a large sauté pan on medium-high. Cook fish for 3 minutes. Turn the fish onto the other side and add the salsa on top. Cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-6 minutes. 


Serve the fish with the pineapple salsa on top, over a bed of the rice and peppers. 


It makes for a very colorful, healthy and delicious meal. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment