Thursday, April 4, 2013

Throwback Thursday

Hunting and fishing have always been staple hobbies in my family. The Adams kids do not like to get up early on weekends, that is of course, unless there are animals to be killed. That was a little blunt maybe, but true. Everything I know about hunting and fishing (which I must say is quite a lot for a 25 year old girl), I learned from my brother and my dad at an early age. Looking back, I am so glad that my brother got me interested in hunting and fishing because I feel like I really got to enjoy some of my best moments with my dad out there either in the field or on the water.

My brother is currently up in Tennessee fishing in a BassMasters tournament, so the real purpose of this post is to wish him luck and pray that he catches lots of good fishies!! While we are on the topic though, I managed to come across some delightful throwback photos that involved me and fishing so I figured that I might as well post them on the blog. P.S. - there is a embarrassing fun little fishing story at the end of this post, so don't miss out.
Throwback Thursday: Gone Fishin'

My brother had this nifty little Jon Boat that we kept at my grandma's house growing up because she lived on a lake. We used to take it out fishing when we would stay over at her house. Now, that I think about it...her gated community probably wasn't too fond of us trolling around the lake all the time.

 My brother apparently got his captain's license at a young age. No one seems to be too concerned that a nine-year-old is driving this boat and may or may not appear to be enjoying a cocktail as well :)

Hanging out with the boys...story of my life. Oh yeah, and my brother caught that baby hammerhead shark while standing on the beach which leads me to believe that mama shark probably wasn't too far away. That seems safe. 
I caught this barracuda instead of a legit sport fish. Boo. However, the best part of this picture is not the lame fish I am standing next to, but instead the rocking pair of Oakley sunglasses that I am wearing. Apparently, at 12 years old I was moonlighting as a Major League baseball player.

When you get trapped off-shore in a thunderstorm, what do you do? You keep fishing of course. I'm pretty sure that this is the type of weather my brother was actually fishing in today. Good times.

Spring Break 2011 - I fought this thing for 45 minutes and I thought my arms were going to fall off.

Now, onto my fun fishing story...

Ever since I can remember, I never live baited my own hook. This was especially true when I would go fishing with my dad and brother and we would use live shrimp for our bait. The reasoning behind this? I couldn't bring myself to bite the heads off the shrimp. My dad always told me that when baiting a hook with live shrimp, first you have the bite the head off the shrimp, spit the head into the water and then put the shrimp on your hook. I watched him do this every single time he baited his hook, and I just could not bring myself to do this so I always made him do it for me. I was under the impression that this was the proper way to bait a hook for years. Seriously, years as in like two decades. So Jared and I start dating and I go fishing with him using live shrimp for the first time (I am about 20 years old at this point). While we are fishing, I ask him to bait my hook for me. He says sure and goes to bait my hook. This is where I should have stopped talking. But I don't. I go on to explain the reasoning behind my fear for baiting a live shrimp. I explain to him about biting the head off the shrimp and he literally bursts out laughing. I am confused. He then explains to me that biting the head off the shrimp is not a necessary step in the baiting process and that my dad has been messing with me all these years. No way. So of course as soon as we get off the boat, I call my dad. I explain to him this preposterous idea that Jared has suggested to me. At first, I hear silence and then laughing on the other end of the line. You have got to be kidding me. 

3 comments:

  1. I love that story! You told us before and I loved reading it again :) Oh, Rocky!!! :) funny guy, that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That time I tried to read your comments but all I could see was your beautiful legs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all these pictures. I have a lot of pictures fishing as a kid, but no deep sea fishing. I don't blame you for not wanting to bite a head off a live shrimp though!

    ReplyDelete