Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Ranch Steaks

Every time I go to Publix, I end up coming home with a bunch of extra stuff that I did not go there intending to buy. So of course, we fell victim to the Publix Aprons free sample man yesterday while we were shopping. We were literally on our way to the checkout line, when the guy working the Aprons stand called out to us and asked if we wanted a free sample of what he was making. Who turns down free samples of food? Not this girl. So we tried the "featured meal for the week" and it was delicious. Next thing I know, here were are with a recipe card for this meal adding all the ingredients to our cart. Touché for your marketing strategy Publix, it totally worked on us.

I will admit that Jared and I had a lot of fun preparing this meal together. I know...me? cooking? fun? Usually, I just sit back with a glass of wine and watch Jared cook. Not the case with this recipe, I actually helped. Go me.

So now I am stealing this Publix Aprons recipe, writing it off as my own and sharing it with you all as my own glorious creation. Just kidding, here is a link to the real recipe if you want it direct from the source.      

*Warning - Despite the name of this recipe, it contains zero amounts of ranch dressing. I know, the name is deceiving. Not cool, Publix. I was a little disappointed at first too. However, I promise that even though this recipe lacks ranch dressing, it is delicious and probably a heck of a lot healthier than if it did include ranch dressing. I am guessing that the name refers to a "ranch", like the place you keep cattle, rather than the dressing variety. Maybe eating this steak will make you feel like a real cowboy? Enjoy :)


What You Will Need
1 1/2 lb. 1-inch-thick steaks (ribeye, strip, or sirloin)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup fresh pre-diced red onions


Directions:
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high. Season both sides of steaks with garlic salt and pepper.
2. Place butter in pan, then add steaks; cook 5 minutes. (Do not turn steaks.)
3. Turn steaks. Add onions around steaks; cook 4–5 more minutes or until steaks are 145°F
[for medium-rare].
4. Serve steaks with the sautéed onions on top.


We used all fresh ingredients for this meal. Nothing out of a box. Plus, we used organic Publix Greenwise meat for our Ranch Steaks and I will admit that I could tell a difference. This is definitely a manly meal so if you are in need of a way to butter up your husband before you ask him to do something for you, I highly recommend cooking this meal for him :) 


Publix has these handy dandy recipe cards available in the store for free that tell you exactly what you need for each recipe, how to make it and all the nutritional facts of the meal. You can also search the Aprons website to find a meal that you like and then print the recipe card off at home. I fully intend on experimenting with more of their recipes in the near future. Where has this awesome resource been hiding from me? Publix just made my life a heck of a lot easier, thank you Aprons. 

1 comment: