- Did y'all watch the CMAs last night? Oh, how I love that award show. Isn't it awesome when a group of artists can actually get together and be nice and respectful of each other's craft, sing music they actually wrote that has some real meaning, not take their clothes off and act like they are on drugs? How refreshing. This is why I love country music and pretty much dislike all other genres of "music" if you can even honestly call some of that junk actual music. Additionally, I just love Taylor Swift and I'm so glad that she was honored with the Pinnacle Award last night. She is so talented and always classy. I'm glad that she is a constant reminder that just because you are young and famous doesn't mean that you have to act stupid.
- Charlie Crist is running for Governor of Florida. Again. Wait, wasn't he already the Governor of Florida? Yes, yes he was. He seems to be under the impression that if he changes political parties and gets a darker spray tan, that the voters of Florida won't remember that he already served a term as Governor in the last decade. Good news Florida voters, in the upcoming 2014 Governor race we now have to choose between...The Oompa Loompa and Lord Voldemort.
This will be an interesting election for me considering I voted to elect both of these guys into office the first time around, whatever will I do now? Sorry Charlie, but it will be a cold day in hell before I'll be voting Democrat.
- Blockbuster has closed it's doors forever. An era has ended and I am really upset about this y'all. I can't tell you how many times in the last couple years I really could have benefited from a Blockbuster store, but alas all the locations in my area were closed. All this digital movie technology is great, but what happens when I want to watch a movie from the 80s or 90s? I can't just run up to the local Blockbuster and check it out any more. Exhibit A: about two years ago, my students read "The Outsiders" and I wanted to show them the 1983 movie version of the book. I was unable to find a download or instant version of the movie anywhere online that I could stream directly through my laptop to show them. So my only options were to buy a copy of the movie online and wait for it to ship or try to rent a copy of it through Netflix and wait around for that to ship as well. You know what could have solved this entire problem? The local Blockbuster store. Exhibit B: over the summer while my mother-in-law was staying with us recovering from her knee surgery, we discovered that she had never seen "Father of the Bride" which is a movie that I love and I knew she would love too. The search began. It was not available through Red Box, On Demand or any of the other online instant download sites. I didn't want to rent it through the regular Netflix and wait for it to arrive in the mail, I wanted to watch it right then! Once again, a local Blockbuster store would have solved all my problems. I finally decided that I was totally ok with actually buying the movie, but I couldn't find it at Target, Walmart or even Best Buy. I ended up having to go to one of those music/movie stores in the mall to buy it. So while new technology has made access to new releases much more convenient, it is exceedingly difficult to get our hands on a copy of our old favorites. I know that the demand for Blockbuster isn't what it used to be, but some of us still need it in our lives. Plus, my children will never know what it's like to go to the video store and pick out a movie together. That makes me sad.
- I have been receiving Pottery Barn catalogs in the mail for at least the last 5 years. However, I have never received a Pottery Barn Kids catalog, ever. Since becoming pregnant, I haven't even began to think about nursery or decorating or furniture or any of that. I haven't signed up for anything online that was kid or baby related, and I haven't done any shopping online for anything kid or baby related. All of a sudden in the last month, I have started receiving Pottery Barn Kids catalogs in the mail. How does Pottery Barn know that I am pregnant? Are they spying on me? Before, I hadn't even thought about the nursery, but now I want everything in this darn catalog. Oh sneaky Pottery Barn, you are good. Touche.
- Is it too early for me to decorate for Christmas? We are having Thanksgiving dinner at my mom's house this year, so there's really no point in me keeping up my fall decorations for much longer, right? No one is even going to be here to see them. Plus, I always feel like as soon as I put my Christmas decorations up (which is a lot of time and work might I add) that it's already time to take them down. I want to be able to enjoy them for much longer this year. I think I'm going to be a rebel :)
Too bad I live in Florida and not in the Pottery Barn catalog, so this won't be happening. I am ready for some holiday spirit y'all...let's see how long I can hold out before the tree goes up.





No comments:
Post a Comment