Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My First 5k

It's no secret that I am not a runner. My running abilities, which are actually inabilities, have been discussed numerous times on this blog before. I have always wanted to be a runner. However, any time I have ever tried to teach myself how to run, I have always failed miserably. Not to mention that I have never successfully set a workout goal for myself and actually followed through with it. I am so envious of people who enjoy being healthy and working out. I hate it. So naturally, I decided to include running a 5k on my Bucket List. I have walked a number of 5k races for charity, but I have never even attempted to run one.

This elusive goal has been sitting on my Bucket List for a few years now and every time I have attempted to start "training" I usually quit after a week. Now, that I am starting to get to the age where I feel like I'm going to be entering my child-bearing years here soon, I figured I better get this out of the way. I know that if I don't have the time or energy to run now, then once I have kids this is never going to happen. Alas, I made running a 5k one of my New Year's Resolutions for this year. We all know how good I am with keeping those...no hope.

As the early months of 2013 rolled by, running was just not in the cards. Those of you who know me in real life, know that this past year has been very rough for me for a number of personal reasons which I feel like somewhat contributed to my lack of motivation. In addition to my personal struggles, running just did not conveniently fit into my life. Option 1: Run before work. Which would mean that I would have to wake up every morning at like 4am. Hell no. Option 2: Run right after work. Here in Florida, it is still about 90 degrees until the sun goes down. I would die. Option 3: Run at night before bed. By that point in the evening, I'm probably one glass of wine deep, grading papers, writing lesson plans and thoroughly exhausted. Aka: so not in the mood to go for a run. Therefore, the entire spring passed me by without any running.

All of a sudden the month of July opened up as the perfect opportunity for me to accomplish this goal. I wasn't working so I could run any time I wanted and I actually had the time and energy to dedicate to running. I made a decision at the end of June that I was actually going to do this. I signed up for a July 27th race so that I would have exactly one month to train. I was determined not to give up on this. I knew that once school started back in August, I would get bogged down with work and running would once again take its place on the back burner.

For a solid month, I ran five days a week. I did interval training, so during each workout I would go the full 3.1 miles and I would alternate running and walking throughout. Obviously at first, I would walk the majority of the time and run only for very short increments. Every few days, I would increase the percentage of running that I did during the workout. In the final days leading up to my run, I was able to run the entire 3.1 miles except for a 1-2 minute walking break that I would take either 1 or 2 times in the middle of the workout. I never actually ran the full 3.1 miles without stopping before the race, but I was hoping that during the actual race my adrenaline would get me there.

My main goal was to run the entire race. I didn't care how fast I did it, I just wanted to run from start to finish without stopping to walk. The day of the race finally arrived and I was super nervous. Even though the race started at 7:30am, it was already hot and really humid before we even got to the starting line.

We ran the Bridge of Lions 5k in St. Augustine. The race starts at the Castillo de San Marcos in downtown St. Augustine, goes over the Bridge of Lions and onto Anastasia Island where it ends in Oglethorpe Park.

Before the race began, we walked over the bridge and along the water to get from the car to the starting line. I was happy to have this beautiful sunrise for a little inspiration.

Jared and I made our way to the starting line and then parted ways. I did not want him anywhere near me while I was running. I cannot run with other people. I don't want anyone I know anywhere near me. I lose focus. I concentrate more on that other person than on myself and it messes me up. So I said goodbye to Jared and knew that I would see him again at the finish line. Jared actually knows how to run so I knew that he was finish the race before I did. However, he did only finish 3 minutes ahead of me. Go me :)

I drink a lot of liquids so I always have to go to the bathroom. In fact, this was my biggest fear for running this race. I was terrified that I was going to have to pee in the middle of the race. Luckily, that did not happen. Although I did have a mild panic attack before the race started because I did really need to go to the bathroom before the race, but of course the port-a-potty line was a mile long. However, I knew there was no way I would survive the entire race if I didn't go before I started running. I actually started the race 2 minutes late because I was in the bathroom. It wasn't a big deal though because I was being timed on my own personal chip so it still tracked me from the moment I crossed the start and finish lines.

I had to spend the first mile of the race passing all the slow people. By the time I actually crossed the starting line, pretty much everyone was gone, even the police escort. So I had to run past the police cars bringing up the rear, weave in and around all the strollers and children and old people, past all the walkers to get myself to a nice open area where I could focus on actually pacing myself.

Thankfully, the bridge portion of the race was in the first half mile so I was still perky and energetic while running over the bridge. My mom was waiting at the bottom of the bridge, so I was waving at her.

I was surprised by how much easier running this race was than I thought it was going to be. Thank you adrenaline. My legs never started hurting, I never got cramps, I felt pretty good the whole time. After the first 2.5 miles, I wanted to walk so bad. I was huffing and puffing, getting really tired and just wanted to walk. But I didn't. I was so close to the end at that point and I was determined to run, even if it was a slow run, every step to that finish line. Finally the end was in sight. When I turned the corner at the 3 mile mark and saw that finish line, I almost started crying. Not because I was in pain, but because I was in awe of myself. I could not believe what I was about to accomplish.

And then about 50 yards from the finish line, this chick in front of me decides to stop and take a picture with her phone. I literally almost plowed into the back of her...and I kind of wish I would have. Who suddenly stops in the middle of a race course where people are running? Idiot.

I was sprinting/skipping across the finish line in excitement. I did it. I ran an entire 5k and I did it in 36 minutes. While that probably doesn't seem like a big deal to most people, it is for me. A month ago, I couldn't run continuously for more than 2 minutes. I couldn't even run half a mile. So running 3.1 miles continuously without walking or stopping for 36 minutes is a huge accomplishment for me.

Together again at the finish line. Jared was standing with our moms about 30 yards before the finish line as I came running by. When I saw him I just started yelling at him, "I did it, I ran the whole time!" as I ran towards the finish line. Finishing that race was a great moment that I will never forget. 

Thanks so much to my mom and Jared's mom for coming to watch us run and talking all these pictures. Thanks to my church small group for praying for me during my run. Thanks to my other friends and family for sending words of encouragement on the day of the race. Thanks to my fellow blogger Christin for giving me some good running tips and race day advice. Thanks to my husband, Jared, for running this race with me. I could not have done this without y'all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment