Wednesday, December 29, 2010

364 Days till Christmas

The day after Christmas is always kind of depressing. Luckily, I still get to keep my decorations up for another week so I get to pretend like Christmas really isn't over yet. This year, December 26th was a little more exciting than usual.

It was nice to finally get to sleep in a little bit, but Gina and Erika had to get on the road and drive back to the Keys. While Jared was making us breakfast, I got on facebook of course to see what was going on in the world. All of a sudden, all these statuses from people who live in Jacksonville starting popping up saying, "its snowing at my house!" and crazy stuff like that. So I obviously run outside to see if there are any snow flurries in my yard. No such luck, but I did notice that is was freezing outside and the sky was rather cloudy and dreary looking, so there was still some hope.

The temperature was pretty warm on Christmas day (in the 70s), but it had started raining on Christmas night. It is common knowledge in Jacksonville that a rainstorm in the winter time means that the temperature is about to drop, a lot. So I turn to the Weather Channel to see if there is any hope that we might get to see even a few flurries.

When I turn on the local forecast this is what I see...


Now there's something you don't see on the local forecast in Florida very often. Gina and Erika had already started packing their car and when I showed them the weather forecast, they got all excited and start wishing and praying that they will get to see the snow before they leave. They finished packing the car and there was still no sight of the snow yet. We say our goodbyes and they head out to their car to leave.

All of a sudden, Jared comes running back inside and yells to me that it is snowing!!! So I grab my camera and my coat and run outside. Believe it or not, it was really snowing. Plus, there were tons of snow flurries, not just a little bit and they were even making it all the way to the ground before they melted. Gina, Erika and I frolicked around in my driveway in the snow flurries, freezing to death, but way too excited about the snow to even care about the cold.


About 5 minutes later, the snow was gone. The flurries had only lasted a few minutes, but that was enough for us. Gina and Erika were able to get on the road and start the long drive home having seen the Florida snow that they wanted. Maybe this is a little bit of a stretch, but I guess we did get to enjoy a few moments of a White Christmas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment