Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Spectacular

My mother and I love to go to New York City together, especially at Christmas time. Since her and I are both itinerary crazy people, and we don't believe in sleeping on vacations, there is no one I'd rather go to New York with than her. When we go together, we basically don't sleep and we walk everywhere. No taxis for us, and we only ride the subway if something is more than 30 blocks away. While, in New York we always make it a point to go and see a Broadway show or two. However, since New York City is so magical at Christmas time, our favorite show is The Rockettes' Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall.

We have seen the show twice in New York and I would see it every year if I could. Aside from loving Christmas, I always wanted to be a Rockette when I was a kid. I've been a dancer since I was 3 and when you are already 5'10" by 13 years old, being a Rockette seems like I pretty good career choice. Obviously, my dance career subsided in college and I probably will never become a Rockette like I always wanted to, but they still hold a special place in my heart.


Back in October when I heard that the Rockettes were bringing the Christmas Spectacular to Jacksonville, I had to buy tickets. And what better person to take with me to the show than my mom. Especially since her birthday was on October 12th so I could give her the tickets as a birthday present. She was very excited to go, of course, since we haven't seen the show in years.

Well, we've been waiting since October, but the night finally came. Last night, we went to see the Christmas Spectacular at the Times-Union Center in downtown Jacksonville. I love going to the Times-Union Center because it is a very special place to me, having performed on that same stage that the Rockettes were about to perform on many times. My mom even made the comment to me that the last time she was there, I was performing in The Nutcracker.

Prior to going to the show, we went to eat dinner at the Jacksonville Landing (next door to the Times-Union Center) and see the big Christmas tree at the landing. When we arrived, there was a performance going on in front of the Christmas tree. All these little girls (probably 4-5 graders) were performing their Christmas-themed jazz routines for everyone at the Landing. It was fun to watch them because I remember doing the exact same thing at their age. We enjoyed our dinner and headed over to the Times-Union Center. The place was packed. I kept laughing at all the men who were there with their wives or girlfriends, looking like they obviously did not want to be there, but they were earning their brownie points.

Our seats were actually really good; much better than the first time we ever saw the show in the nose-bleed section of Radio City Music Hall. As I was watching the show, I kept glancing at the all little girls sitting around me. They were so enchanted by the show and I could remember feeling the same way the first time I saw it. The show was absolutely fantastic! However, there is something about seeing it in Radio City Music Hall that makes it even more exciting.

The Rockettes are my favorite part of the show, but the ending of the show (which does not include the Rockettes) is absolutely beautiful. This scene tells the story of Christmas with a live Nativity which includes live animals! Yes, there are actually live sheep and camels on the stage. I love that they choose to end the show in this way. After watching 1.5 hours of the "fun" Christmas things (Santa, etc.), it is nice that the end of the show reminds you of the true meaning of Christmas. It is definitely the most beautiful Nativity that I have ever seen.

After the show, mom and I had to compare it to the show we saw in New York of course. It is very much the same, but on a smaller scale. The stage at Radio City is huge and there is really no other stage that can compare to it. There are less Rockettes in this show, simply because no more would fit on the stage. However, if you have never seen the show in New York, you would never notice it. Aside from the minor changes in the show, the quality of the show is amazing and definitely at the Radio City standard. The show is only playing in Jacksonville for two more days, so if you are going to see it, I promise that you will love it. If you ever make it to New York City during late November-December, the Christmas Spectacular is a must-see!

No comments:

Post a Comment