Monday, December 20, 2010

The Nutcracker

I LOVE The Nutcracker! I could seriously just end this blog right here with that statement. I have always loved going to see The Nutcracker, ever since I was a little kid. In my mind, it is not officially Christmas until I go to see The Nutcracker. We always went to see the show when I was little and then in the 4th grade, I started performing in the local Nutcracker. After that, I didn't really get to see the show because I was always in it, but that was so much better so I didn't mind. In the past couple years, I have gone back to my spot as an audience member, but still doing the dances in my head as I watch them on stage.

I have seen many different versions of The Nutcracker, but my favorite is still the one that I was always in. However, when I was in middle school my mom and I saw the New York City Ballet perform The Nutcracker in Lincoln Center. It was amazing and of course nothing can compete with the New York City Ballet, especially since we got to have our picture made with some of the dancers (snowflakes) from the performance, which is super cool when you are 13 years old. Honestly, I would still think that was cool now.


My absolutely favorite scene from the entire show is the snow scene. It has always been my favorite scene and when we saw the New York City Ballet performance, they had a live choir singing with the symphony for that part and that made it even better. Every year, I get all excited when it starts to snow on the stage even though I already know that it is going to happen.

There are a number of Nutcracker shows put on every year in Jacksonville. I performed in the First Coast Nutcracker, which of course is the best one in my opinion. It is at the Times-Union Center and the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra provides the live music for the show. So not only are you getting to see a ballet, but an orchestra performance as well. The woman who choreographs the show currently is the same woman who choreographed it the first year I was in it. She was also my ballet teacher when I attended Douglas Anderson (the performing arts high school here). I guess when something works well for you, you don't change it. I say that because most of the choreography from the show is exactly the same from when I was in it. So I usually sit there and do the dances from my seat :)

Knowing that I am obsessed with The Nutcracker and must go see it every year, Jared of course got me tickets again this year. My last day of school before winter break was this past Friday, so in celebration of a break from school and the holiday season we went to The Nutcracker. I must say I was rather jealous of the some of the performers walking around in the lobby after the show. One of these days I am going to start performing in The Nutcracker again, maybe as one of the party scene adults or something :)

Have a magical holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment