I have decided to make two New Year's Resolutions for 2013 even though I really have a long list of things I want to accomplish. We have to make small goals around here because I suck at seeing things through. Of course, I have to post these resolutions on the blog and make them official because otherwise they don't really exist if I don't put them on the blog. I'm not a very self motivated person so making these things public helps me keep myself accountable. Feel free to heckle me throughout the year if I start slacking. Ok, here they are...
Run a 5k
One of the items that has always been on my Bucket List is to run a 5k. For most people, running a 5k does not sound like a very difficult feat; however, it is for me. Currently, I can probably run half a mile (maybe) and that would only happen if I was being chased by a bear. I have always been good at cardio-inducing activities, except for running. I can swim, do aerobics, power-walk, dance, play a sport, pretty much anything and be perfectly fine. However, ask me to run 100 yards and I die. I have participated in numerous 5k races over the years, but I have never been able to run one. I can power-walk one in about 45 minutes, but I am determined to run an entire 5k race. And this is the year that it is going to happen. I got some recommendations from people for me to use an ap on my iPhone called "Couch to 5k". It is free and creates a running program for you that teaches you how to run in small intervals, gradually increasing the amount of running you do until you are able to run the full 3.1 miles. You turn it on when you start your run and it tells you what to do the entire time. It keeps the time and distance for you and tells you when to start a new running or walking interval. This is perfect for someone like me who has no motivation to run. All I have to do is follow the directions and before I know it, my run is over. The program is 8 weeks long and my goal is to run the 5k portion of the Gate River Run in March.
Cut back on my alcohol consumption
I have a really bad habit of drinking alcohol for no apparent reason. I will come home from work and be like, "today was a long day, I think I'll have a beer". Before I know it, I've had a beer everyday after work for the entire week. I feel like this is really unnecessary. First of all, this habit causes my husband and I to waste so much money on beer and wine because we drink it so regularly. Secondly, this causes me to take in a ton of unnecessary calories and carbs. I don't like to diet or eat super healthy as it is, and adding all this beer and wine to my diet probably is not helping my case. If I stopped drinking alcohol altogether, I could probably drop 10 pounds and save a bundle. But let's be honest, I still like to have a drink in social situations so cutting it out of my life completely is unrealistic. However, this at home weekday drinking has got to stop. Therefore, my resolution is to simply cut back on the alcohol. My goal is to limit my alcohol consumption to occasions when we go out to dinner or get together with friends, not just sitting at home on the couch with the dogs. We'll see how this goes.
Based on these two resolutions of mine, I should be dropping weight like a champ. Good luck to everyone out there who made some resolutions for this year!
I'm not really sure what "2013 will be my year" means exactly, but it sounds like a good way to start my year with a positive outlook. Plus, anything will be better than 2012. So 2013, let's do this.





No comments:
Post a Comment