Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Bumpdate {31 Weeks}

The end is fast approaching and there is still so much to do! This next month is all about tying up loose ends and getting everything ready for Peyton's arrival. We are finishing the nursery, taking some prep classes, purchasing those must have items that we didn't get at our showers, etc. I want to have everything ready to go by May so that I can simply just enjoy that final month of pregnancy or in case she decides to come early.

Week 31: April 2 - April 8

Week 31 Milestones:

- Baby is the size of a pineapple this week! She's going through major brain, nerve and eye development currently. Her bones are hardening too, except for her skull. She can also regulate her own body temperature now.

- My total weight gain thus far is 33 pounds. However, I'm pretty sure that at least a solid pound or two of that is solely just from the swelling and fluid in my feet. Otherwise, belly button is still in, rings are still on and zero stretch marks! Maxi dresses are my wardrobe staple at this point. They are so comfortable and they cover my gigantic ankles.

- The amount of fluid in my feet and ankles is out of control. They are so unbelievably swollen that I don't even recognize them. When I look down, they don't look as though they actually belong to my body. I officially own ONE pair of shoes that will actually fit on my feet now...a pair of stretched out J.Crew flip flops that are at least 5 years old. My feet will not fit in any other shoes. I've tried all kinds of things to get the swelling in my feet to go down, but nothing had really been working too well. Luckily, I have an awesome friend who is currently in med school and she serves as my on-call doctor all the time. She gave me a few tips, which totally worked and I am finally getting some relief, yay! Her suggestion that has been working the best is massaging my foot in a way that gets the fluid moving and dispersed. This makes the swelling decrease immensely, but oh my goodness it is so painful. Jared has to do it for me because I can't do it to myself. I can't force myself to inflict this kind of pain upon myself without immediately quitting. Although he doesn't like causing me pain and he says he can actually feel the fluid moving around underneath my skin which is freaky, he does it anyways. Husband of the year. I feel like I can't accurately describe how this kind of pain feels, but imagine that you have an area on your body that is severely bruised and extremely tender from an injury such as a sprain or broken bone. Ok now you have to apply direct, firm pressure on that area by constantly rubbing it. Ouch. That description doesn't even do it justice. However, as Jared massages my feet we can visibly see the swelling going down and he can feel the fluid dispersing which makes my feet feel so much better once he stops touching them. The results are well worth the pain. Unfortunately, my feet balloon back up the next day so we have to do it all over again. Something for me to look forward to everyday for the next 8 weeks. I am seizing this opportunity to practice my breathing and pain management exercises for labor and delivery during this process. Yes, it really is that painful that I have to result to pain management techniques in order to tolerate it. Good news is that I will be such a pro at these techniques when it comes time for my actual labor that I should be more than prepared to tackle a natural child birth.

- Jared and I started two of our child birth classes this week and I love them. They are so interesting and informative. I love learning new things and feeling really prepared. One of the classes focuses on what to do with the baby once you get home...which is something I desperately need instruction in. I literally know nothing about babies or small children. I have changed exactly one diaper in my entire life and have probably only held 3 babies ever. I am the person who politely declines holding other people's infants when they offer because I am so terrified. So I was very excited to take this class because now I feel like my child actually has a chance of survival when I bring her home. The second class we are currently taking is about the actual child birth process. I love getting some insight on what to expect and I find it all extremely fascinating. I'm sure that once Peyton decides that she is ready to make her debut, my motherly instincts will kick in and I'll know exactly what to do. Until then, learning all about it in these classes is definitely putting me at ease and making me feel so much more relaxed and prepared.

- Food preferences: Basically the same, except that I have been substituting my chocolate ice cream for lime sherbet this week. Delicious.

Peyton's dresser and changing table finally arrived! I am so ready to be done with this nursery, and we are still waiting on one last piece of furniture. I can't wait for all the furniture to finally be in place so that I can decorate and get things ready.

I had a slumber party with my Phi Mu family for the weekend!

Jared, Peyton and I were celebrated with a baby shower by our college friends (Read my blog post)

No comments:

Post a Comment