Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Happy Trails

Yesterday, I went for a little afternoon trail ride with my sister-in-law, Melissa (my brother's wife). This was my first time back on a horse since my honeymoon, 4 years ago, which of course made for some entertainment for Melissa and everyone else at the barn. We had a great time and I managed to make it back to the barn all in one piece, but not without a hard core leg workout to show for it.


I've been wanting to go riding for a while now, especially because Melissa does it pretty much everyday. I just keep getting busy and forgetting about it. Now that it is summer, I finally had the perfect opportunity. We went out to the barn Melissa rides at so I could meet her horse, Layla, and go for a trail ride. Did I mention that my sister-in-law is a bad ass horse-showing diva?


She says that the next time I go ride with her that she is going to made me do what she does, ride English style and jump over stuff...yeah right. We'll see. I might have to chug a beer before I let a horse jump in the air with me on it. Luckily, she was easy on me yesterday and we rode Western just for me.


After visiting with Layla, we made our way down to the Western barn to get the horses for our trail ride. Melissa rode Lucky and I rode Rebel. Let me tell you, the name was definitely well earned, he was quite ornery and did not want to cooperate with me.


Once Rebel and I finally got used to each other, we went for a nice little ride around the property. I think he just really wanted me to have to work for it and boy did I have to. It was quite the workout, but I'm also ridiculously out of shape. I guess this was barn initiation.


I really enjoyed riding around this beautiful property and taking in the scenery. It was so relaxing and fun. I can't wait to go back and ride again soon. Thanks Mel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment