During my senior year of high school, my town was directly hit by a number of major hurricanes. I lived and worked at the local Red Cross chapter for weeks. Our town, and our Red Cross chapter, became quite a focus for the media during these major storms. This experience not only gave me the opportunity to make a huge difference in my community, but also to meet President George W. Bush and be interviewed for a feature article in Teen People Magazine. It was an extraordinary experience for me. Ever since then, I was hooked on hurricanes.
So today's Throwback Thursday is dedicated to my experiences with the American Red Cross during hurricane season...
Throwback Thursday: Hurricane Season
Hurricane Frances 2004
Have you ever been outside during a Category 4 hurricane? It's pretty freakin' cool, but I still don't recommend it. It's rather unsafe. Here I am dancing in the middle of the highway in front of the Red Cross building because the town was on lock down and no cars were allowed on the road. Rebel.
With my homeboy, George W. I'm actually bending my knees in this photo because I was taller than him and the Secret Service told me that I was not allowed to appear taller than the President in the photo.
Alright, here it is y'all. My claim to fame. On page 129 of the December 2004 issue of Teen People.
Stay safe this hurricane season!

.jpg)


You are my hero!
ReplyDeleteI never knew that about NOT being taller than the President. What a hoot! Maybe he should have traveled with a small step-up platform. :)
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about this all over again. You were and are such a true inspiration. You are an amazing girl, my Jacki Roche. xox