This week I'm sharing...
Here is a synopsis...
In 1922, F. Scott Fitzgerald announced his decision to write "something new--something extraordinary and beautiful and simple + intricately patterned." That extraordinary, beautiful, intricately patterned, and above all, simple novel became The Great Gatsby, arguably Fitzgerald's finest work and certainly the book for which he is best known. A portrait of the Jazz Age in all of its decadence and excess, Gatsby captured the spirit of the author's generation and earned itself a permanent place in American mythology. Self-made, self-invented millionaire Jay Gatsby embodies some of Fitzgerald's--and his country's--most abiding obsessions: money, ambition, greed, and the promise of new beginnings. "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning--" Gatsby's rise to glory and eventual fall from grace becomes a kind of cautionary tale about the American Dream.
It's also a love story, of sorts, the narrative of Gatsby's quixotic passion for Daisy Buchanan. The pair meet five years before the novel begins, when Daisy is a legendary young Louisville beauty and Gatsby an impoverished officer. They fall in love, but while Gatsby serves overseas, Daisy marries the brutal, bullying, but extremely rich Tom Buchanan. After the war, Gatsby devotes himself blindly to the pursuit of wealth by whatever means--and to the pursuit of Daisy, which amounts to the same thing. "Her voice is full of money," Gatsby says admiringly, in one of the novel's more famous descriptions. His millions made, Gatsby buys a mansion across Long Island Sound from Daisy's patrician East Egg address, throws lavish parties, and waits for her to appear. When she does, events unfold with all the tragic inevitability of a Greek drama, with detached, cynical neighbor Nick Carraway acting as chorus throughout. Spare, elegantly plotted, and written in crystalline prose, The Great Gatsby is as perfectly satisfying as the best kind of poem.
~ via Amazon.com
If you have never actually read this book before (I know we were all supposed to read it in high school), I highly recommend it. And if you did actually read it in school, you need to read it again. As an adult, you will have a completely different perspective and take-away from this book. Promise. I have read it probably 8+ times and every time I read it, I find something new that makes me enjoy it even more. Then again, I'm a literature nerd, so of course I love this book. It's short (only 180 pages) and exposes the glamorous, yet darker side of the American Dream. Just read it. You won't be disappointed.
And in case you weren't already aware, they are making a new film version of this book and I'm pretty excited about it. Good 'ole Leo DiCaprio has been cast in the leading role as Jay Gatsby, which I think is going to be amazing. You better believe I will be in the theater on May 10th to see this movie.
And in case you weren't already aware, they are making a new film version of this book and I'm pretty excited about it. Good 'ole Leo DiCaprio has been cast in the leading role as Jay Gatsby, which I think is going to be amazing. You better believe I will be in the theater on May 10th to see this movie.




AH! LOVE this book! It was one of the only ones I actually read when we were assigned in High School. And Leo is my number one love (in my dreams! lol) so I am beyond excited to see the film version! I think it's going to be AH-MAZING! : )
ReplyDeletei read this last year and i just didn't like it lol. sad story it was and slow moving...but the movie looks a bit better :)
ReplyDeleteI wasn't a huge fan of this book when I read it in high school. Although I think part of that could be that I wanted to read books I wanted, which made it hard for me to enjoy assigned books. But I do think I'd enjoy it more if I read it now, and I'd especially love to read it before the movie comes out.
ReplyDeletei'm excited for the movie! never read the book
ReplyDelete