The #1 item on my Bucket List has always been to read the Bible cover to cover. Why you ask? Because in some ways I feel like I am supposed to. How can you correctly practice something without reading the manual? I feel like all Christians should read the Bible...all of it, not just the good parts. I also want to read it because I feel like it will be interesting and I'll learn something (or a lot of things) from it.
The Bible I currently own is 1773 pages long and I plan on reading every single page. I know that seems like a lot, and it is. However, I read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy in one semester of college which is over 1400 pages and horribly boring, so I feel like there isn't anything I can't read.
My goal is to read the entire Bible by the end of 2013. I am hoping to actually finish it way before that, but I want to give myself a reasonable goal so I won't become overwhelmed and give up.
Today is Day 1. Here is page 1 of 1773 - Genesis 1:1 all ready to go!
I am also going to be using this handy dandy ap on my iPhone called YouVersion. It's a Bible ap that has a bunch of nifty features. You can use it to track your progress (which is what I am using it for), it will read aloud to you, give you daily Bible verses and lots of other cool things. I thought about reading the Bible in chronological order (the order in which the events happened historically by time), but then I decided that I wanted to read it canonically (the order in which it was written) instead. So instead of jumping around throughout the text, I will be reading from page 1 to page 1773 straight through.
Don't worry, I'm sure there will be many updates along the way. Wish me luck!


*app
ReplyDeleteDid someone really correct app?
ReplyDeleteHaha apparently :) My bad y'all...please correct my "ap" to "app". I hope the Apple police don't come get me!
ReplyDeleteI've wanted to do this, too! You make a perfect point - how can we practice without reading the manual? Maybe I'll give it a go myself :) Good luck!
ReplyDelete