Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day

Today is that special day where we honor mothers. Considering they have pretty much the most important job on the planet, we should really honor them every single day of the year. However, Hallmark says we celebrate them on the 2nd Sunday in May so here we are.

Now that I am an adult (sort of), I have a different perspective on Mother's Day. I realize that not everyone has two fabulous moms like I do. For some, this holiday brings negative or upsetting feelings. There are so many out there who are hurting today. Those who have lost their mothers, those who are estranged from their mothers or don't have a good relationship with them, and those who have never even known their mother. Not everyone is as lucky as I am. I was blessed enough to have been brought into this world by one amazing mother and acquired a second amazing mother through marriage. 


There are also mothers out their who are hurting today. Moms who do not have a good relationship with their children or have lost their children too soon. There are so many women out there who want so badly to become mothers, but their bodies won't allow it. My moms are lucky too. My brother and I, Jared and his sister all live close to our moms, have good relationships with them and see them regularly. I can't imagine my life without my mom close by. 


For those of you who, like me, are lucky enough to spend Mother's Day with your mom (or your children if you are already a mom yourself) having fun, don't waste this moment. Be thankful for this blessing in your life and enjoy every minute that you have together. 

For those of you who are struggling today, focus on another amazing woman in your life. Just because it's called "Mother's Day" does not mean that the person who you honor has the be the person who brought you into this world. Maybe you have another strong woman in your life, whether it be a family member or a friend, who fills this role for you. Call her up and say thank you for being a positive influence in your life. You'll make her day. Or just buy yourself a bottle of of wine and have your own Sunday Funday :)

Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful mommies out there! Enjoy your day!

2 comments: