So I have decided that this year, I'm not holding back. My intention is not to complain or throw myself a pity party, but I know what it's like to portray a life that looks "all put together" on the outside, but is an emotional mess on the inside. So here we go...not the "rainbows and sunshine" version of my year, but the real 2013.
January
We rang in the New Year with friends in Jacksonville. My New Year's Resolution was the run a 5k (which I did accomplish yay!) and my secret New Year's Resolution was to get pregnant (which I also did!).
We surprised Mark for his birthday when we showed up for a visit in Fort Lauderdale.
February
We attended the wedding of our friends, Mike and Emily.
Emily was officially added to the Kappa Sigma Wives Club!
March
I began my second term as President of our local Phi Mu Alumnae Chapter.
We celebrated Heather's upcoming wedding and St. Patrick's Day with her bachelorette party in Orlando.
Jared's mom and I climbed to the top of the St. Augustine lighthouse! Even after living in this area my entire life, I had never been to the top of this lighthouse. It was a great view of this beautiful place we live in.
April
We celebrated Gina's (my mother-in-law) birthday by taking her zip-lining at the Alligator Farm. I stayed on the ground and took pictures of everyone else because I couldn't participate due to my recent IUI.St. Augustine celebrated it's 500th Anniversary and the landing of Ponce de Leon. I love living in such a historical place.
Heather and her bridesmaids at her bridal shower.
My bestie came to visit me, so we went frolicking around St. Augustine as usual.
May
We took the moms to Epcot for the Flower and Garden Festival for Mother's Day. It was a beautiful day and we had so much fun together. After Epcot, we went back to my mom's beach condo for the rest of the weekend. I had to take a pregnancy test on actual Mother's Day to find out if our most recent IUI worked. The test was negative, so we went and drank beers on the beach. Laying in the sand, watching the the ocean and drinking a beer made me feel so much better.
Jared and I were both honored to be a part of Josh and Heather's wedding day.
June
I received my Teacher of the Year award.
I finished my 4th year of teaching. I also discovered that while I was good at teaching, I was really unhappy at my job. The stress of teaching in a Title 1 school on top of the stress of fertility treatments had taken a serious toll on me physically, mentally and emotionally. I had been hiding and suppressing all these feelings for the entire school year and I was ready for summer to try and pull myself back together.
Our annual mother-daughter-aunt beach weekend at the condo.
Jared and my brother went on a hunting trip in South America. I am so happy that Jared got to go on this amazing trip with my brother. The only downside was that I had to take a pregnancy test while he was away to find out that our final IUI was unsuccessful.
Jared's mom had a partial knee replacement so I took care of her. Focusing on her and her needs for two weeks was great at helping me forget about all my failed fertility treatments. Plus, it was a fun bonding experience for the two of us.
Mom and I went to Chattanooga, Tennessee to celebrate a baby shower for our family friends.
July
Jared and I celebrated the 4th of July at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina.
Hiking and exploring in the Great Smoky Mountains!
Knowing that we would be doing an IVF cycle in September, I wanted to enjoy all the things I wouldn't be able to do once we started IVF and possibly got pregnant. We hiked mountains, climbed waterfalls, drank beer at all the local breweries. It was prefect.
I was also ecstatic to accomplish one of my major Bucket List items, hiking part of the Appalachian Trail!
Jared decided that I needed some bestie time because he was worried about how all this fertility crap was affecting me, as he should have been because I was hurting. So I joined Casey at her work conference in Cocoa Beach, which sounds lame but was an absolute blast. I laid on the beach with fruity cocktails while she attended meetings and then I got to join her for a behind the scenes tour of Kennedy Space Center. It was so cool. I love educational stuff.
The moment I found out that we would have to take a two month break from fertility treatments, I started running. I knew that this was my opportunity to accomplish something I have always wanted to do, run an entire 5k. It was my New Year's Resolution and something that has been on my Bucket List for years. Plus, running ended up being some amazing, head-clearing therapy for me. Every day I would run a little farther, and each time I started to feel tired and wanted to quit I would say to myself, "think of all the shit you have been through, you can do anything, you are so much stronger than you ever thought you were, you can run a little farther, keep running." And before I knew it I could run the entire distance of a 5k. As I crossed the finish line at the race, I started crying. I remember thinking to myself as I approached the finish line, "screw you fertility, I won't let you defeat me. A month ago I couldn't run half a mile and look I just ran an entire 5k, so screw you because I will win this battle." I don't think I've ever been more proud of myself.
August
I had my first "authentic" casino experience in Biloxi, Mississppi. I've been in a casino before, but this was the first time I was actually old enough to gamble and drink in one.
We celebrated Stephen and Lauren's wedding in Biloxi!
We celebrated my sister-in-law, Erika, on her birthday!
September
I celebrated Labor Day as my last weekend of freedom before beginning IVF.
First FSU football game of the season and what would be my final beer until June 2014.
However, I wouldn't let IVF keep me from my FSU football :)
September 30, 2013 - The day we found out that we were pregnant! After 19 months of trying to get pregnant, our prayers were finally answered. This was a very exciting and emotional day. I will never forget that feeling of knowing that all I had been through was not in vain and that is was finally all over. For once, I didn't have that feeling of "where do we go from here?" I finally knew where we were going and our path was finally clear. It was such an amazing feeling. However, no matter how great I felt, I couldn't help but think about all the other women out there who are still in fertility limbo. I pray for those women every single day. Nothing can prepare you for infertility and nothing can make you feel better about it. It is terrifying and devastating, but I hope that all those women who have to go on this journey will eventually find their own way to make a family, whether that be fertility treatments or surrogate or adoption. Pregnancy and parenthood is such a blessing and we should not take a moment of it for granted.
October
Baby Roche's first FSU game. Looks like she ended up being our little good luck charm for the season!
We participated in the Out of the Darkness walk for Suicide Prevention in honor of my dad.
We let our secret out and announced the coming of Baby Roche! I was a little apprehensive to do an announcement like this at first. I remember all those times that I signed on to Facebook, just to discover that another person I knew was pregnant when I still was not. It was like a slap in the face every single time. I know so many people who are still trying to get pregnant and I did not want my successful pregnancy to make them feel bad because I know that feeling all too well. However, I have spent a lot of time, money, emotions and pain to get to this point and I wanted to celebrate our success. I knew that these people who are my friends would know that I'm not trying to rub my pregnancy in their face, but that I want to celebrate my joy and let the world know that there is hope for women with fertility problems. And for right now, maybe they do hate me for getting pregnant before them and I don't blame them because I felt that way many times about my own friends' pregnancies, but there is nothing I can do about that and there is nothing wrong with those feelings so I will just continue to pray for their journey and hope for the best for them.
November
We celebrated Miss Ava's 1st birthday in Fort Lauderdale.
FSU Homecoming with my Phi Mu family + 1 new legacy coming in June!
December
Girls' night out at the Festival of Lights 5k
I started volunteering at our church and decorated the entire sanctuary for Christmas.
Jared and his fraternity brothers have been doing a Fantasy Football league for three years now so I decided that if I am going to have to watch NFL football all season long, I might as well find some way to be interested in it. We started a girls Fantasy Football league and we had such a blast all season long. I learned more than I ever thought possible about football and the NFL and I am forever hooked now. Turns out, I'm pretty good at Fantasy Football because I ended up being the champion of our league!
Jared and I were so blessed to have both of our families all together for Christmas this year.
Our last Christmas as a family of two!
We celebrated my dear friend, Lindsay, and her fiance, David, at a bridal shower.
Luckily, the later portion of this year started to redeem itself. The first 9 months of 2013 were rough for me, especially since fertility treatments were controlling my entire life, but things really started to turn around in the last 3 months of the year. I guess it just shows that there is so much that we do not have control over. Ultimately, God has a plan in mind for us and everything will happen according to His plan. This year, I just had to have faith that God was not going to leave me and that His plan would end up being what was best for me. In the end, that faith prevailed and I couldn't be happier.
This year had its fair share of rocky points up until the very last days of 2013. In this final week of the year, I feel like my entire house is falling apart. Our washing machine has broken in a way that required us to purchase a brand new one. And of course since it broke right before Christmas, I couldn't get a new one delivered until yesterday. You never appreciate simple appliances like washing machines, until you have to do without one for almost two weeks. Our guest bathroom toilet broke in addition to some other plumbing issues that required me to call a plumber out today so that we could have a working toilet for our NYE get together tonight. Our water filter in our refrigerator is broken so we have no ice or filtered water, requiring us to have to buy bags of ice and bottled water until we can order a replacement part. Sadie has two infected toenails which required me to take her to the vet (always a nightmare of an experience) for some antibiotics and a foot wrap, which the vet informed me I have to keep dry and clean for the next week. Um, have you met Sadie? She is never clean or dry for more than 30 seconds because she runs around our yard like a wild banshee. The vet tells me this information while Sadie is running in circles around her and simply gives me a "good luck" before she leaves the room. So I have been chasing Sadie around all week trying to keep a plastic baggie covering her bandage. I also dislocated/sprained my left thumb about two weeks ago and of course did nothing about it except ice it because there isn't really much you can do about it. I have noticed this week that it is hurting more and swelling regularly. Of course it is my left thumb and I am left handed, so I have no strength in my left thumb/hand. I guess I should get this resolved before June when I'm holding a baby non-stop.
Yes, all of these things literally happened in the last week. Trust me, no one is more ready for 2014 than this girl. All of these experiences this week have really made me miss my dad more than ever. Being a home builder, he always fixed all of my house problems for me. Today was the first time I ever had to seek out a professional on my own and pay him to come into my home to fix something. In the past, my dad would either come over and fix whatever was needed, tell Jared how to best fix it or send one of his guys over to fix it if it was beyond something he or Jared could do. When Jared and I were wandering around Lowe's this week looking for a new washing machine, I so wished I could call my dad so he could tell me which one to buy. When Jared was trying to fix the toilet and we couldn't get the water to the house to shut off properly, my first instinct was to call my dad to ask him how to turn off the city meter. While Jared and I have been messing around with our new water filter trying to figure out why it won't work, I know that if I could just call my dad he would know exactly what we needed to do. I have baseboards that need to be fixed, drywall that needs to be repaired and so many things in my house that I look at everyday and think to myself, I wish I could call dad to come fix these things. Don't get me wrong, my husband is extremely handy and can fix almost all the things that need fixing around our house. However, he is so busy with work and school that I want him to be able to relax and spend time with me during his free time, not be my non-stop handyman. I think I am also feeling this way lately because we have finally started working on the nursery and I so wish that my dad was here to help me design it. Although Jared and I are perfectly capable of doing everything in the nursery on our own, my dad always had great ideas that I would never even think of. That's what 30 years of building custom homes will get you. Plus, being a builder's kid has given me extremely high standards of home design and I want this nursery to be perfect. Hopefully, my dad will send me some inspiration from above.
So that is where we are today, as 2013 comes to a close. I know that these end of the year posts are supposed to be fun and upbeat, so I apologize for mine being so deep and solemn. I am glad to be leaving 2013 behind me and moving forward with the life lessons I have learned in this past year. I am definitely forever changed after this year, but I know it is for the better. I am excited for all that 2014 has to bring, especially my baby girl!
Cheers to 2014! Let's make it a great one!




.jpg)





We are SO happy for you and Jared. Your posts are so truthful and so refreshing. Going through a fertility struggle is so heartbreaking and you have touched on every emotion that I have had. I know you are helping so many other women realize we are not crazy and these emotions are real. John and I followed your blog on your fertility journey and the day you announced your pregnancy I cried in happiness for you because you are so deserving. I know that 2014 is going to bring you such joy! So many prayers your way! xoxo The Trossets
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your recap--and am so sorry to hear of the struggles you went through. I'm SO happy that you are getting ready to welcome your little one--what a wonderful answer to your prayers! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I'm not the only one who is more than happy to let 2013 go! I am glad that everything with your fertility treatments worked out! I have a close friend who just went through the same thing because her husband had some issue which made it extremely difficult for them to get pregnant (they have been trying since July 2012) and they announced their pregnancy right after you :) So, even though it was a difficult experience, I am so happy it worked out for you :)
ReplyDeleteI am SO excited for you and Jared! I know I don't know you personally but I went to school with Jared in Marathon and I'm so happy to see you both doing well :) Gina introduced me to your blog and I love it!
ReplyDeleteAnd I totally understand what you're going through with wanting to call your dad... my father passed away when I was in high school and even now, 13 years later, I still find myself wishing that I could call him to ask a question or get his opinion on something. You're not alone!