In college, Phi Mu was my life. I was involved, lived in the house and even served as President of our Alpha Epsilon chapter. When you pledge a sorority, they tell you all these cheesy stories about lifelong friends, sisters being your bridesmaids and your children's godmothers, etc. Honestly, I just wanted something to be involved in at Florida State, I wasn't really looking for any life altering experiences. Yet, what I wasn't looking for is exactly what I got. Phi Mu brought me a lot of things, aside from good times and about 50 t-shirts. However, I won't get into my mushy Phi Mu stories or I would be writing this blog for days.
After college, the idea is that you graduate, move somewhere and join the local alumnae chapter. Unfortunately, many girls just disappear off the face of the planet in Phi Mu world after they graduate. Since I was so involved in Phi Mu in college, I wanted to continue being involved as an alumnae. I was especially sold on being involved in an alumnae chapter on the day that I met Vivian. While I was serving as President of my chapter in college, I heard about one of our fellow Alpha Epsilon members who was to receive her 75 year pin at Founders' Day that year. Yes, that means that she would have pledged Phi Mu in 1933 when FSU was still Florida State College for Women. She was living in Jacksonville and the alumnae chapter here asked myself and a few sisters from our chapter to come and honor Vivian, as she was still a very involved member of Phi Mu even 75 years after her initiation.
Vivian was such an inspiration and she had the best stories. Spending time with her at the Founders' Day luncheon was a Phi Mu memory that I know I will never forget. Vivian passed away this past fall, she had been a dedicated member of Phi Mu for 77 years.
An alumnae chapter is made up of local sisters who live in the area, all from different chapters. Obviously, a lot of women from Alpha Epsilon (FSU) and Alpha Nu (UF) live in Jacksonville, but our alumnae chapter has women from chapters all over the nation. It is so fun to be around a bunch of women who are all apart of the same bond that you are, but you are all from different places, different walks of life and different generations. The woman who sat next to me at our luncheon this past Sunday graduated from the same chapter I did, just 65 years earlier than I did.
Our Founders' Day luncheon was held at Deerwood Country Club and we had a great time. In addition to the Founders' Day ceremony, we had a philanthropy donation drive and installed our new chapter officers. I was installed as the new President of our alumnae chapter, and I was definitely having flashbacks to being installed as President in college...minus the drama of elections. I guess I will have to get my gavel back out :)
Jacksonville Alumnae Chapter Officers


No comments:
Post a Comment