It was 5 years ago today, that on this wonderful holiday known as St. Patrick's Day, I met my husband. So in case you have never heard the story, here is how Jared and I met on that fabulous day in the friendliest tavern in Tallahassee :)
I was in my freshmen year at Florida State in 2006 and was completely unaware of the festivities that were about to invade Tallahassee for St. Patrick's Day. I am not Irish, so celebrating this holiday was never really high on my list of priorities. I was fully intending on wearing my green and going to class, just another day. That was until I was intercepted by my best friend, Casey McKinney and some of the older sisters in Phi Mu. Apparently, on St. Patrick's Day everyone skips class and goes to the bars all day to drink green beer. At first, I was not seeing the fun this situation. #1: if my mother knew that she was paying all that money for me to skip class and go to the bar, she would kill me. #2: I didn't start liking beer until my Junior year of college, so at this point and time why would I have any desire to drink beer all day?
Ultimately, they convinced me. I mean the professors give you that one excused absence every semester for a reason right? Well, my reason was going to be for St. Patrick's Day. So the girls dragged me to the strip of bars on Tennessee Street where we then proceeded to stand in line for 30 minutes to pay 10 bucks to get into the block party. Tons of our other sisters were there and any excuse to dress up in theme is something that I can be excited about :)
While frolicking around the block party, Casey managed to strike up a conversation with some boys in Kappa Sigma. They invited us to go with them up to this bar called "Ken's" which I had never even heard of at this point. We were literally the only people in Ken's, mind you it was like 1:00 in the afternoon. While we are hanging out with these guys, Casey asks them if they can buy us a drink since Casey and I obviously aren't of age and we didn't have fake IDs. They point over to the bar and tell us that one of their fraternity brothers, Jared, is already at the bar and if we ask him that he would buy us a drink. So Casey frolics over to the bar and asks Jared to buy her a drink, which he does of course.
In the meantime, I go and sit down at a booth near the pool table...yes there was a pool table in Ken's at this time...then Casey and Jared come over to join me. We all sit and talk for a while in the booth and then Casey decides to take a picture of Jared and I, why, I have no idea. Probably because in her tipsy state of mind she knew that we would end up getting married and want documentation of the moment that we met. Well I don't know why she did it, but I'm glad she did. After a couple beers at Ken's, Casey and I frolicked over to Subway for some food and the Kappa Sig boys parted ways with us.
The next day, I go to add the pictures from my camera to Facebook and come across the picture of Jared and I. I upload the picture, hunt him down on Facebook and tag him in it. Then I totally forget about it, I figured that I just made a new friend. A day or so goes by and then I get this message on my Facebook from Jared about the picture that I tagged him in. So of course I go onto his Facebook page to find out more about him and I am mortified to find out that he is President of Kappa Sigma. I immediately call Casey and yell at her for allowing us to frolic around like idiots belting out 80s songs in the middle of a bar in front of a fraternity president. Luckily, when I messaged him back on Facebook and invited him to go out with us the next night, he willingly accepted. And the rest is history...
I am pretty sure that to this day, some of my sorority sisters still sit in that famous booth of mine when they go to Ken's just waiting for some wonderful guy to come sweep them off their feet. So ladies, whenever someone tells you that you aren't going to meet your future husband in a bar, they might be wrong...all you need is a little luck from the Irish :)
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment