Sunday, November 20, 2011

FSU vs. Miami

Yes, this event may have happened over a week ago, but I'm just now getting around to blogging about it. Sorry, life gets in the way sometimes. The weekend of Veterans' Day was not only a 3-day weekend, but also a huge home game for Florida State football. We played our 2nd most hated rival (the Gators being our #1 most hated rival of course) the Miami Hurricanes. We really despise Miami fans. Not the Miami fans who actually graduated from the university, but the trashy ghetto people who are just bandwagon fans that probably have no more than an 8th grade education. Needless to say, the real entertainment for me during this game was not the actual football but watching the "classy" Miami fans who kept getting arrested or thrown out of the stadium for starting fights and other stupid crap. Overall, we all know going into this weekend that when Miami comes to town, Tallahassee becomes a hostile environment. 

 
Thanks to a day off for Veterans' Day, we were able to get to Tallahassee by lunch time on Friday. We "tried" to eat lunch at Po'Boys but that failed miserably after we waited for 2 hours and our food was still no where to be found and with no reassuring prediction of when it might actually be ready. Only in Tallahassee can a restaurant have the most terrible service and still managed to be packed all the time. I've eaten there so many times over the past 6 years, and I have never once even had what I would consider mediocre service. Unfortunately, everyone likes their food and wants to go there because it is a "Tallahassee staple". I'm definitely removing it from my list of things to do when I visit Tallahassee from now on. 

Anyways, after vacating Po'Boys the boys went to the Kappa Sigma house for a "deck day" and I went to happy hour with a variety of Phi Mu sisters. First, I went to Potbelly's with my great great great grand-little Kate. Then, I went to Paradigm with my grand-little, Chelsea. Casey eventually showed up there as well and the two of us went to Downtown Getdown to meet up with the boys. Downtown Getdown is this big block-party style event that they have every Friday before a home football game in downtown Tallahassee. Eventually, we all made our way to Ken's, of course. Doing happy hour that intensely the night before a football game is a bad idea...or so I learned the hard way.


The next morning, it was gameday. We spent the day tailgating and I was so excited that some of my Phi Mu sisters came to tailgate with us!   


In fact, four of my seven Phi Mu family members were there so of course we couldn't waste an opportunity to take a family line picture!


We even learned how to play a cool new tailgating game that is like a jumbo version of Jenga!


Soon it was game time and the trashy Miami fans were out in full force. I wish I would have taken pictures of some of these people because I was trying to determine if what they were wearing was a joke of if it was like a legit outfit. Oh well, they were really entertaining and I had a good laugh at their expense. 


The game was pretty intense on a count of some of the referees making really terrible calls and the fact that the stadium was chaotic because people get insane when FSU and Miami play. In the end, we pulled out the win. Thank God. Things were crazy before the game, but if Miami would have won then I'm pretty sure that the entire campus would have been destroyed. It is always fun to beat Miami because they are so obnoxious and it's a big in-state rivalry. 


Hopefully, next weekend we can beat Florida as well and become the champions of the state of Florida, just like last year :)


Go Noles!

No comments:

Post a Comment