Monday, July 16, 2012

Farewell 3162

I spent the last 4 days in Tallahassee helping my husband and my sister-in-law pack up and clean up our Tallahassee house. I call it "our" Tallahassee house because my husband and his sister are both on the deed to the house, and since I'm married to him, I automatically own half of his shit...hence the "our" house. Plus, Jared and I have been helping out with investing in the house for the last couple years anyways. Packing and cleaning this house was quite a feat, but we managed to get it done in 4 days despite a number of snags in our plans. Flashback to the spring of 2007 for the story of the 3162...


Jared is moving out of the fraternity house, despite it being such a fine establishment to live in :) Erika is moving out of her apartment and it just makes more sense to invest in something like a house instead of wasting more money on apartment rent. Plus, Jared recently purchased Sadie, the German Shorthair Pointer, who is in desperate need of a big backyard to frolic in. Alas, Jared, Erika and their dad purchase this house with the idea in mind that Jared and Erika could live there for the remainder of their college days and then can sell the house and possibly turn a profit. However, thanks to the glorious economy, we still own it.

Jared lived in the house until he graduated. Erika lived in the house until she graduated from Undergrad, moved out for a year to go home and then lived in it for two more years until she finished Grad school. Over these past 5 years, a slew of various friends and acquaintances have lived in the house. Jared and I have stayed in the house during football game weekends, etc. And now, our time in the Tallahassee house is over. Erika graduated from Grad school back in April and has moved to Jacksonville. We have found some tenants to rent the entire house for at least the next year, so that meant getting out every single thing we ever brought into that house.

Some of the things we had to get out of the house have been there since the day we moved in and have seen a whole lot of memories made...

This has been sitting on the mantle above the fireplace since my husband and his fraternity brother moved into the house originally. I have no idea where it came from or how it got there, but it is now going to be returned to the Kappa Sigma house as it's final resting place.

My favorite piece of furniture from the Tallahassee house...the "porno" couch
The porno couch was originally owned by my older brother and resided with him while he attended Ole Miss and the University of Florida. It was then passed down to me and resided in my apartment at Florida State until I moved into the Phi Mu house. Having no where to store it, I put it in the 3162 house where it has remained until now.

The story of the porno couch as told by my brother...

The couch got its name after I bought it brand new still in the wrapper from an old lady in South Fla whose husband had just passed away. I told her I was to be taking it to college and she said I could have it for $100. One night we were throwing a party and a member at our house, who shall remain nameless, decided to put on a porno on the big screen without sound to see how long it would take for someone to notice. Granted, this was in the early morning hours after the bars were long but closed in Oxford, MS. A cute, blonde member of a sorority who also shall remain name less was screaming there's a porno on the TV! Upon further inspection she then noticed the couch in "the scene" was none other than an exact copy of the one in our bar room. Funny coincidence and the couch was infamous from that day forward. It lived through 10 years of college, only a few more than I experienced, at three different schools.


We had to pack up all of Erika's stuff and most of the remaining furniture. 

Jared and Judy attempting to load the U-Haul...which filled up quickly

So quickly, in fact, that we had to rent another vehicle to fit it all

Erika cleaned up the inside...I can barely remember the house ever looking like this

I pressure washed the outside of the entire house. 
Section on the right: before...section on the left: after. 

Our moving fleet, all packed and ready to go!

While this Tallahassee house has been a big pain in the butt and in my wallet sometimes, packing it up was bittersweet. I have had a lot of good times in this house and I will miss it. 

1 comment:

  1. That must have been a hard job and such a bittersweet moment. Great job on the pressure washing!

    P.S. Would you mind shooting me an email at everydayetm@gmail.com? I'm doing a series about college life for incoming freshmen and I'd love for you to say a few words about sorority rush!

    ReplyDelete