March 22nd - Blarney-Waterford, Ireland
As we waved goodbye to Killarney, we traveled south-east via the Kerry Mountains toward Blarney. We passed through a number of little towns, including the city of Cork, which we have learned is where the Irish "Roches" hail from. Some relatives perhaps?
We arrived in Blarney, known for its magical Kissing Stone, and had some free time to ourselves to explore. We had the option of either going shopping or going to the castle, and can you believe that there were people on our tour who chose to go shopping?! We're in Ireland, for goodness sake, and you opt not to go up into a castle? Crazy people. Obviously, I chose to explore the castle.
First, we strolled around the grounds surrounding the castle enjoying the gardens. Although winter has just ended and it was still cold there, the daffodils are in full bloom this time of the year.
Bells of Ireland - these were my "something blue" in my wedding bouquet
While meandering around the gardens, we visited the Blarney House which is where the family who owns the Blarney Castle actually still lives currently.
Next, we began the trek to the top of Blarney Castle. A super tiny, winding stairwell of about 110 steps led us throughout the castle all the way to the top.
The view from the top was amazing and well worth the treacherous climb.
Also at the top of the castle, resides the famous Blarney Stone. You are supposed to kiss the stone for good luck, but kissing it is actually quite a feat to attempt. In addition to paying 10 euros for the experience, you have to lie down and hang backwards/upside down over the edge of the castle in order to kiss it. Needless to say, I did not kiss the Blarney Stone myself, but I watched a bunch of other people do it.
Exploring Blarney Castle was definitely a highlight of the trip for me. There are castle ruins everywhere you turn in Ireland and going inside the ruins was something that I desperately wanted to do.
We continued along the southern coast of Ireland, to Waterford. Known as the "Crystal City", it is home to Waterford Crystal. Perhaps you've heard of it?
We went on a private tour of the factory and learned all about the crystal-making process. All Waterford Crystal is blown, sculpted and etched by hand so no two pieces are exactly the same.
At the end of the tour, we visited the showroom and I bought my first piece of Waterford Crystal ever. I would never have bought myself a piece of Waterford Crystal in America, simply because I don't need it. However, I figured that I will probably never be in Waterford again and that it would be cool to have a piece of crystal direct from the factory.
That evening, we had an optional excursion to the local fishing village and pub. First, we went on a driving tour of the fishing village of Dunmore East where we got to see the oldest lighthouse in the world.
Next, we visited a local thatched-roof pub that is over 300 years old for some entertainment and some pre-dinner drinks. One of the locals entertained us with some traditional Irish stories and music while we enjoyed our drinks.
Our tour director even got up and sang for us, which was a special treat. I feel like the majority of people in Ireland know how to sing because their culture is steeped in oral tradition and music. In Ireland, the pub is not just a place to drink, but I place to gather and socialize. People traditionally gather in the pubs to tell stories and sing. It is very uncommon to drink at home in Ireland, everyone always just gathers at the pub.
Our day ended with a group dinner in our hotel, which was beautiful and right on the water, and of course a few pints in the hotel pub before bed.


No comments:
Post a Comment