Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Ode to Marriage

On this day in 1974, my daddy and his buddies were running a little late to particularly important event...his wedding. Don't worry they had a good excuse :) Ok, maybe not...guess that depends on who you ask. Not only did this happen to be his wedding day, but it was also the opening day of dove hunting season. If you know my dad and his friends, this is really not surprising at all. Whenever my dad, brother or husband goes hunting or fishing, they always say they will be home at a certain time and I know that all I have to do is simply add about 2-3 hours to that time and that is what time they will actually be home.

Growing up in the South, one thing I learned was to never plan an important event during the fall...unless you want it to be overshadowed by football and hunting season for the rest of your life. Hence the reason I got married in May :)

Luckily, my dad did make it to the church after dove hunting that day and here we are 37 years later. When I was a kid, I was a part of the majority by having parents who were still married, but now I am part of the minority.


Let's be honest, 37 years is a long time...especially when you spend 15+ of those years not only living together but working together as well. My parents are polar opposites, but I think it suits them well. Plus, I like to think that I am nice mix of the two of them. I'm really proud of my parents for not quitting on their marriage when life gets tough, like so many other people do.

So rather than risk getting really sappy with this blog post, since that is not in my nature, I'll just keep it at this: I hope to have a long-lasting marriage that is able to overcome any obstacle, just like my parents. Happy Anniversary mom and dad!

3 comments:

  1. OMG your blog is adorbs :) now following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is awesome -- you made so many true points; it is rare for couples to stay together these days AND almost all the Southern couples I know were also married in May! Ha!

    Neely is right -- your blog is adorbs:) I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award http://bit.ly/oKFklz !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacki, I remember when your mom called me and told me they were engaged! I was also in their wedding, and you are right... they are a perfect match! My husband and I have been married for 33 years, and we got married in June for the same reasons! Tell your mom I said hello!

    ReplyDelete