Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday Musings

This weekend went by so fast that I'm pretty sure it didn't even really happen at all. I have been super busy, hence the blog has been taking a backseat to my life. This makes me sad because blogging is my way of relaxing, reflecting and venting when life gets too chaotic. When I don't get the chance to unleash all of my thoughts onto my blog, then I just feel like a hot mess with too many things bouncing around in my head. Since I was too busy to link up for Confessional Friday last week and its been a while since I actually "wrote" about something on this blog (rather than just posting pictures), here are some of my recent musings for this Monday...

1. I did not get to watch the Grammy's last night and after reading everyone's posts on Twitter and Facebook, I'm actually kind of sad that I missed it. Sounds like it was quite a show. 

2. I can't believe that Whitney Houston died. Sad face. I used to dance around in my bedroom to her music when I was a kid. I think it's really sad that some of these people who are so talented throw their entire lives away on drugs.

3. When I woke up this morning, the temperature was in the 20s. Not cool. There is a reason that I refuse to move any further north than Jacksonville and it is because I despise cold weather. So I would appreciate it if this nonsense weather would get up on out of here and go back up north.  

4. Somehow, I have become recently obsessed with Reubens (the sandwich). There is a restaurant by my house that makes the best Reubens I have ever had and I want to eat there every day. I can't wait till we go to Ireland in a month; I am going to eat a Reuben every single day that we are there...ok let's be realistic, probably more than once a day. 

5. One day last week, I had to grade a bunch of tests for my students and I had to get them all done in one night so that we could go over the test in class the next day. Whenever I grade a multiple-choice test, I always write down all the letters from the key on a sticky note so that I don't have to keep flipping through the answer key. Well, after grading about 35-40 of these tests (out of 75 total), I suddenly realized that I was using the wrong answer key. Fail. Then, I realized that I didn't even have the correct answer key with me and I couldn't print it off from my email because it was created in Publisher and I can't open those documents on my home laptop. Double fail. Ok so, then I had to email the document to my sister-in-law and have her read me the answers over the phone. Finally, I had to go back and re-grade all of those tests and change all their grades in the grade book and then finish grading all the other tests that I still had not done yet. It was a long night. Of course, you know my students were super confused when they got their test back the next day and they had circles, x's, check marks and scribbles all over their tests. It was quite the moment from teacher hell.   

6. Fellow Floridians, I know we all have our preferences on which area of the state we think is the best and I don't mind visiting the different areas for a short amount of time, but when it comes to actually living somewhere...I will never leave North Florida. Anything South of Daytona and West of Tallahassee, eww. Obviously, this is just my personal opinion and I'm sure everyone who reads this probably disagrees (except for my best friend, Casey, because we share a brain), but I am definitely a North Florida girl. Why might you ask...because we have a little bit of that Florida flair, but we pretend like we're actually from Georgia :) 

7. I don't like going to the West Coast of Florida because it confuses me. The beach is on the wrong side. When I am trying to navigate myself around the East Coast of Florida, it's easy because I can always figure out which way the ocean is, thus locating the east. When I'm on the West Coast trying to figure out where I am, I always think, "oh there's the beach, so that must be east...oh wait no, crap". Ok so maybe, I just don't adapt well...or maybe Jared is right and I really don't have any sense of direction. Whatever, I like my ocean to the east...so deal with it.   

8. People who live in Orlando, please skip this thought and don't be offended...I seriously hate Orlando. I drove through Orlando yesterday on a Sunday morning and it was still bumper to bumper traffic. I feel so bad for people that live there. I really hope y'all have some secret back roads that you drive on so you never have to drive on I-4. If I could go the rest of my life without ever driving on I-4 again, I would be a happy person. Unfortunately, I really like going to Disney World so I guess I can't avoid Orlando forever. 

9. I'm sure you are probably wondering where all this nonsense rambling about the state of Florida is coming from. Well, it's because I had to drive across the state yesterday to attend one of my sorority sister's weddings in Clearwater. (that's on the West Coast of Florida for all my non-Floridians out there) So I drove from Jacksonville down to Orlando and then across the entire state to the Gulf. This gave me a little over 3 hours (both ways, so 6+ altogether) of time in the car to observe and judge the different parts of the state...even though I been to all these places before so these are not new judgments.  

10. Ok so back to this wedding...my dear friend from college (sorority sister, pledge sister, psuedo-roommate when she slept on the floor of my room in the Phi Mu house during recruitment week every year, etc.) got married yesterday in Clearwater. The ceremony was on the bay with pretty water and palm trees in the background...you almost couldn't tell that it was only 49 degrees outside :) Luckily, Tania is all about getting to the point and moving on to the party, so the ceremony lasted 5 minutes, tops. It was perfect, very Tania-esque. We had a great time at the reception, but not too much of a good time because I had to drive all the way back to Jacksonville afterwards. Luckily, I had some diet coke and Taylor Swift to keep me company on my lonely 3+ hour car ride home. 

Sorry, that this post was just a bunch of word vomit with no pictures...so here is a picture with my Phi Mu sisters from the wedding yesterday!

  
PS - If you thought this post was full of cynical ramblings, be sure to read my Valentine's Day post tomorrow. Well actually, if you are one of those people who really loves Valentine's Day then don't read it because I wouldn't want to ruin your day...but all V-Day cynics are welcome to enjoy it :)

3 comments:

  1. I live in Orlando and HATE it! We avoid I-4 at all costs. Thankfully my apartment is in a place where I can avoid I-4 to get to work (at Disney World). PS. Krystina from Cup of Hot Chocolate is in the middle of planning a Florida bloggers meet up! Would you be interested in attending once we get all the details worked out?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I love Reubens too! If you have Culvers near you, they make a pretty decent reuben for a chain!
    Ok, so we go to St Pete Beach every year in April b/c we have a timeshare there. Hubby and I are thinking of taking a day trip to Sanibel/Captiva Island. What are your recommendations? Worth visiting? What should we do there if we go?
    Whenever we go to the east coast I feel like the beach is on the wrong side - and it's not as pretty as the gulf. Loved your Florida commentary! I can't wait to be there in less than 70 days!!! Chicago area is miserable this time of year (well, most of the year, really)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ughhh I bet that was so aggravating having to re-grade that test! Yikes!

    We live outside of Savannah so y'all probably aren't too far from us!

    ReplyDelete