Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spring Break Adventures {Anastasia}

After our visit to the lighthouse, my mother-in-law and I ventured right down the road to Anastasia State Park. I have been to Anastasia before with Jared, but this was Gina's first time at the park.


There is an entry fee per vehicle to get into the park (as with every State Park), but once you're inside you can enjoy the nature/hiking trails and the beach at your leisure. There is also the opportunity for beach cruiser rentals and various water-sports rentals at the salt marsh. 


Gina and I hiked the Ancient Dunes nature trail through the maritime hammock of the park. We even spotted (well, heard at first) this little woodpecker up in the forest canopy that I managed to snap a photo of. Thank you Nikon zoom lens.


We hiked out to the marsh that separates the maritime hammock from the dunes of the beach.


Anastasia has a boardwalk that leads you across the marsh and out to the beach. From the boardwalk, you can see the St. Augustine Lighthouse just beyond the maritime forest hammock.


I just couldn't resist the urge to snap a panorama of the marsh, dunes and beach. 


We are definitely going to come back to Anastasia when the weather is warmer to fully enjoy the beach access and go kayaking across the salt marsh!

No comments:

Post a Comment