Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spring Break Adventures {St. Augustine Lighthouse}

My mother-in-law and I embarked on yet another day of St. Augustine adventures! This morning, we kicked off our day with a visit to the St. Augustine Lighthouse. Neither of us had ever visited the lighthouse before so we were super excited about doing this together!


Upon entering the lighthouse museum, I learned two things about this historical landmark that may have quickly elevated it to one of my favorite spots to visit in St. Augustine. #1 - They sell beer. #2 - St. Johns County residents (aka: both my mother-in-law and I) pay a one day admission and get a pass to come back to the lighthouse for unlimited access for an entire year, for free! So it looks like Gina and I will be spending the next year drinking beers in the lighthouse, yippie!


The grounds surrounding the lighthouse itself are beautiful and full of history. 


We made the climb of 219 steps one way to the top of the lighthouse. It was exhausting, but totally worth it for the amazing view!


We could not have picked a more perfect day for a trip to the top of the lighthouse! 


I could not get enough of this view...the Tolomato River directly in front of us and the Atlantic Ocean in the distance. I just wanted to stay up there all day, but I had a reward waiting for me at the bottom :)


I can't wait to come back and use our resident pass to enjoy this view again!


Gina even busted out her binoculars to get a better view of surrounding St. Augustine. 


Pictured below is the view of historic downtown St. Augustine from the top of the lighthouse.

 
To celebrate our 438 step accomplishment, we rewarded ourselves with one of those beers!


If you have never visited the St. Augustine lighthouse before, I highly recommend it. It is a fairly inexpensive, fun and educational way to spend the day. Gina and I had a blast experiencing this together!

1 comment:

  1. The lighthouse is one of my favorite sites in St Aug, too! I miss it, but always go when I'm home in Fleming Island for a visit. I totally never even read the facts though, so I always just called the Tolomato River "the intercoastal"...am I the only one? :)

    ReplyDelete