As we hiked throughout the woods, we got to see and hear some of the local wildlife. We even saw a few turkeys...too bad we didn't have the Berettas with us. It is turkey season after all :)
The first leg of our hike led us to this wildlife observation tower that we climbed to get a better view of the area. I made Jared pose in front for a photo, which of course he hated. Too bad.
After stopping for a lunch break, we hiked out to the banks of the St. Johns River.
There is a campsite right on the edge of the river, but I feel like camping there would probably be a terrible idea because the surrounding area looks like it is probably infested with mosquitoes and alligators. I was secretly hoping that we would see an alligator while we were out exploring, but now I realize that would probably have ended very badly.
During our hike, we ran across a portion of our trail that was underwater. Rather than turn around, we powered through the flooded area despite the fact that we had to tread very carefully right along the edge of the forest where the bear tracks were. Thankfully, my husband is super outdoorsy and has an extensive knowledge of surviving in the woods so I know that he'll take care of me if one of our adventures goes astray. Don't worry, we survived the flooded (and possibly bear inhabited) trail and finished our hike.
Over 7 miles of hiking later, we made it back to the trail-head. We only explored about half of this conservation area today, so we are definitely going to have to go back for another hike sometime soon. Maybe we'll even plan a camping trip out here!


No comments:
Post a Comment