Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer Reading

Yesterday was the first official day of summer, yippie! Therefore, it is time for me to get going on my summer reading list. As part of my summer bucket list, I proclaimed that I would complete a summer reading list which is a pretty normal feat for myself. When I was in elementary school, I always wanted my school to give us summer reading lists but they didn't so I would just read all the books that were on my brother's reading list for middle school. I have always loved reading and I truly believe that reading is one of the best things you can do for your mind. Trust me, there is research to back this theory up. Reading is absolutely the best way to learn new vocabulary, improve your critical thinking skills, keep your mind sharp, and improve your memory. So if you are looking for a way to give your mind a workout this summer, read a book!

Before I begin my summer reading list, I must complete another monstrous feat that I got myself into over 6 months ago. Back in December, I decided that I was going to take on the Harry Potter series. I had never read any of the books before, and I felt like I was missing out on something. So I started reading the series and oh my lord, what a task it is. My goal was to finish the entire series before the final movie comes out on July 15 and I am almost there! I am currently on Book 7 and I have 388 pages to go.

As soon as I finish this Harry Potter epic, I will begin my regular summer reading list. I have chosen only 5 books for my summer reading list because I feel like my brain needs a break after reading those encyclopedia-sized Harry Potter books. Plus, I have to read a book, The Energy Bus, for work before we go back to school. If I get really ambitious, or bored, perhaps I'll add some books to the list. So without further ado:

Jacki's Summer Reading List
Thirteen Reasons Why
by: Jay Asher

Water for Elephants
by: Sara Gruen

The Help
by: Kathryn Stockett

Commencement
by: J. Courtney Sullivan

Pretty Little Liars Book 9: Twisted
by: Sara Shepard
(I read the first 8 books of the series last summer)     


I keep track of what books I'm reading using Shelfari, you can view my book shelves in the right hand margin of my blog or at this link Jacki's Shelfari

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment