Friday, December 9, 2011

Confessional Friday

I'm linking up again this week with Leslie at Blonde Ambition for Confessional Friday! The purpose of this link up is for me to confess my innermost thoughts, questionable ideas and embarrassing moments from this week. Basically, this is the perfect time to tell all the things you think during the week, but are too polite to say out loud.

Here are my confessions from this week...

1. I have not started my Christmas shopping yet! I bought my mom a gift like 2 months ago, but other than that, I have not bought a single gift.

2. I finally decorated my Christmas tree and Jared put our outside lights up. It looks great, but it really took a lot of motivation (and wine) for me to finally commit to getting it done.

3. My students never cease to amaze me with the things they are clueless about. Here are some of the things this week that I mentioned in class that my 6th graders (11-13 year olds) had no clue what I was talking about...
  • William Shakespeare - direct quote from my student..."Mrs. Roche, I'm going to read a book by this Shakespeare guy, whoever he is."
  • The Wizard of Oz - another teacher on my team was joking with our students that we were going to walk back from lunch like we're in the Wizard of Oz. Our student's response..."What's The Wizard of Oz?"
  • Pearl Harbor - as we all know, Wednesday was the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. So of course I mentioned this in class on Wednesday and not a single one of my students knew what Pearl Harbor or World War II was and most of them didn't even know where Hawaii was on a map. That's not too surprising though considering some of my students can't even locate their hometown on a map. 
4. I have become addicated to watching baking shows on TV, like Cupcake Wars. What is odd about this is that I absolutely hate all types of dessert, especially cake and cupcakes. But for some reason, I love watching people make cakes and cupcakes. All the flavors sound delicious and they look so pretty, but I know I would never want to eat any of it.

5. I am so judgemental about other people's Christmas lights. Jared calls me the Christmas light police. In fact, he doesn't even like looking at Christmas lights with me because all I do is critique them. Thank goodness he does a good job hanging our Christmas lights or he would be in big trouble. What really bothers me the most about Christmas lights is the people who outline their roof in lights, but do a really crappy job of hanging them in a straight line. It seriously looks like they had a bunch of drunk frat guys hang their lights. I really just want to hang a letter on their door that says, "Please either hang your lights in a straight line or take them down".

6. Last night, Jared and I ordered the Big Dinner Box from Pizza Hut. Yes, that is the giant pizza box that contains two medium pizzas, chicken wings and breadsticks. And yes, it was just the two of us eating it. Needless to say, I'll be eating leftover pizza for the next couple days but I don't mind because I love pizza.

7. My thoughts and prayers go out to the students at Virginia Tech and those affected by the shooting yesterday in Blackburg.

Have a wonderful weekend! For all my fellow teachers...hang in there, winter break is almost here! 

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm stopping by from Confession Fridays!

    Love your background, so cute!

    I <3 cupcake wars too!

    happy Friday xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not bought a single gift! Your bullet point about the Christmas lights cracked me up. It bugs me when people put janky lights!

    Your blog is adorable! Enjoy your leftover pizza - that is what just had for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Jackie - I would hate for you to see the half ass light job we've got going on outside. We're not done yet, though. Didn't have enough wine to get it finished. =P So I don't feel too bad.

    Our tree looks wonderful, though!

    p.s. I don't know HOW you keep your sanity with students like that, doesn't it make you worry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats terrible that your students dont know these things... i was thinking last night (while reading on my nook) that my children will probably not know what its like to pick up a book a novel and read... kinda sad.

    that pizza box honestly sounds amazing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best part about reading your blogs is that I can practically hear your voice saying each thing to me, making it even more hilarious. I kinda want to go look at Christmas lights with you now. And thanks for #7.

    ReplyDelete