Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fabulous Fall Challenge: Day 3

I am pleasantly surprised that I am actually managing to keep up with this fall blog challenge. So proud of myself :) Sorry that today's post is little later in the day, but I had to snag some photos from my parents' house for this post. Trust me, the pictures are worth the wait. Without further adieu, here is the next edition of the Fabulous Fall Blog Challenge with Neely and Amber.


Fabulous Fall Blog Challenge

Today's topic is Halloween Memories

I have never been really intense about Halloween. Yes, of course every kid likes Halloween because it's an excuse to dress up, stay up late and eat lots of candy. However, once I got older I really could care less. I also really hate scary things. I don't like scary movies or haunted houses and I still cannot fathom paying money to go to something like Halloween Horror Nights so that some people in costumes can jump out and scare the crap out of me. To this day, the only real appeal of Halloween to me is the candy and dressing up. 

When I was a kid, our neighborhood always had a great turn-out for Halloween. We would all get dressed up and there would be a parade around the neighborhood at dusk. All the little kids in their costumes would parade around the neighborhood and then at the end of the parade route we would start trick-or-treating. It was a huge neighborhood affair and I hope that my kids get to have that kind of experience one day too. 

Over the years, the majority of my Halloween costumes were just recycled dance recital costumes. I mean those dance costumes are expensive and you only wear them once, so why not reuse them. Plus, I always wanted to be some variety of a princess/fairy/ballerina for Halloween anyways. 

I'm sure that my mother is thrilled to be featured on my blog here as Minnie Mouse circa 1989, but sorry mom it's a cute picture :)

The famous "Jacki" face...to this day I still make this exact face if I'm pissed about something


Here is my favorite Halloween memory of all time...
 
When I was in elementary school, Budweiser had a commercial involving a bar that was having "ladies night" and the deal was that all the ladies in the bar got free Budweiser. So in the commercial, this group of men dress up as ladies and go to the bar to get the free Budweiser. Well for some reason I thought this was hysterical, so I told my grandpa that I wanted him to dress up as one of the "Budweiser ladies" from this commercial for Halloween and go trick-or-treating with me. For those of you who don't know my grandpa, we call him "Bubba" and he is 6'2". Being the awesome grandparent that he is, he did it. All night long, we were so amused when other parents would tell their kids who got in our way, "say excuse me to the nice lady". I will definitely never forget that Halloween, it was the best one ever. Here is the photographic evidence of Bubba and I... 



Do you like my little pose here? Apparently, I was born to be a sorority girl :)

This year for Halloween, we are going to hang out with our friends and their 3 year old son to celebrate his birthday and help them hand out candy. I can't wait till I can dress up my own children in some ridiculous Halloween costumes.



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that story is so cute! What a great G-Pa! :) I too don't do much for Halloween either. I couldn't even think of a fun Halloween memory! lol whoops! PS. I gave you a blogger award over on my blog! It's in the post called Two Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God!! this is the best!!! Absolutely hysterical. Jared and Erika have some awesome memories as well... 500-600 trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood every year! Always a party at our house! I love Bubba! Yes! The pictures 100% entertained me!! LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!!! Muah!!

    ReplyDelete