Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fabulous Fall Challenge: Day 7

I am so proud of myself for keeping up with Neely and Amber's Fabulous Fall Blog Challenge! Today is Day 7 and it is all about delicious fall eats. Yummy. I actually enjoy cooking fall-themed foods because they happen to be foods that I can actually cook and cook well. Enjoy!



Fabulous Fall Blog Challenge

Today's Topic is Fall Recipes 

I would not consider myself very talented in the kitchen. However, there are a few things that I cook really well and they are the only things that I actually ever cook. The rest of the time, Jared does all the cooking. Even if you are not a very good cook, feel free to try my recipes because if I can do them successfully, then anyone can. 

"Sugar Pecans" (See my post about this recipe: Holiday Baking)

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 lb. pecan halves
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease one baking sheet. 
2. In mixing bowl, whip together egg whites and vanilla until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix together sugars, salt, and cinnamon 
3. Pour egg white mixture into one gallon sized ziploc bag, then add pecans. Shake bag until pecans are coated. 
4. Pour sugar mixture into another gallon sized ziploc bag, then add the pecans to that bag and shake. 
5. Spread the nuts out on the greased baking sheet. 
6. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from oven every 15 minutes and stir pecans.


"Brandy Slush" (See my post about this recipe here: Brandy Slush)

Ingredients:
1.5 cups sugar
4 teabags
12 oz. can frozen OJ
12 oz. can frozen lemonade
2 cups brandy
2 liter Sprite
Ziploc freezer bag (gallon sized)

Directions:
1. Heat 5 cups of water and 1.5 cups of sugar until sugar dissolves
2. Boil 2 cups of water with 4 teabags
3. Let tea cool and then add tea to the sugar water
4. Add 12 oz. can of frozen OJ and 12 oz. can of frozen lemonade
5. Add 2 cups of brandy
6. Pour mixture into a gallon sized Ziploc freezer bag
7. Freeze for 48 hours
8. Scoop out a cup of slush mixture, pour Sprite over it and serve


The next two recipes are my two favorite chili dishes to make. I'm really good at making chili, probably because it's virtually impossible to screw up. I never cook chili according to a "recipe" per say, just a list of ingredients that I throw together in a stew pot and let it all simmer on low for a few hours.

"White Chicken Chili" (See my post about this recipe here: Sunday Funday)

chicken breasts (chopped)
great northern beans
white kidney beans
sweet onion (chopped)
green pepper (chopped)
red pepper (chopped)
garlic (minced)
jalapeno (seeded, chopped)
green chiles (diced)
chicken broth
flour (about 3 tablespoons to thicken the broth)
McCormick's white chicken chili seasoning
garlic salt
cumin
oregano
black pepper
chili powder
cajun shake
shredded monterey jack cheese (for topping)

"Drunk Deer Chili" (See my post about this recipe here: FSU vs. Maryland)

ground venison (season with wildlife seasoning)
tomato sauce
tomato paste
light red kidney beans
green pepper
sweet onion
white mushrooms
garlic cloves (minced)
chili powder
black pepper
sea salt
cumin
Kentucky bourbon (I used Maker's Mark)
Louisiana hot sauce
shredded cheddar cheese (for topping)


2 comments:

  1. Hey girl - LOVE this post! I'm a new follower, found you while randomly trolling other blogs :) I'm an FSU alum (c/o '08) - so I'm LOVING the color-scheme and FSU-related posts! :) I'm excited to be following! :) I'm new to blogging -
    www.shannonsebastian.blogspot.com

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuuuum!! I'm drooling over your sugar pecans! Those are being entered into my recipe book RIGHT Now!! Lol! Thanks for sharing.

    Come over to my blog for some Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies!!

    ReplyDelete