Thursday, August 11, 2011

DIY Teacher Style

I have quite the reputation at my school for having a very well decorated classroom and over-the-top bulletin boards. Helloooo, I'm a sorority girl...we do nothing better than arts and crafts. I just love to make pretty things for my classroom. I've probably invested way to much money in my classroom, but I don't care...I spend 8 hours a day in that room and I need it to be cheerful and pretty.

I'm not going to change too much about my classroom this year, but I've been wanting to make a little teacher sign to hang in my classroom. I really wanted to make a wreath for my classroom door, but there are just too many rowdy middle schoolers running around outside my classroom. Therefore, I don't want to do all that work and then it get destroyed. So I decided to make a teacher sign with my name on it to hang over my desk instead.

Here is the finished product:


It would just be wrong to show you all this DIY goodness and not tell you how I made it! So start taking notes, here we go...

#1. Gather your materials:


#2. Paint the wooden apple so that is already dry when it comes time to attach it to your chalkboard.

#3. I painted the edges of my chalkboard black so that if you look at it from the side you don't see any exposed wood. I also added two pieces of wood to each side so I wouldn't have to cover as much of the chalkboard with crayons.

#4. Begin attaching crayons to the wooden border of the chalkboard with a hot glue gun.



I used exactly 118 crayons to border this entire chalkboard...


#5. Hot glue some ribbon into a flat bow at the top of the chalkboard and then attach the wooden apple that you painted at the beginning. I had to add some Phi Mu flair to my creation with the ladybug ribbon.


#6. Write your name (or whatever you want) on the chalkboard with chalk. I had extra ladybug ribbon so I made some additional bows. I really love bows :)


#7. Hot glue a long piece of ribbon at both ends to the top of the chalkboard on the back so that you can hang your beautiful creation. Ta-da!  


I can't wait to hang this up in my classroom on Monday! Happy Crafting :)


5 comments:

  1. Looks great. I made a wreath this year and just put it up yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an AMAZING board!!! You keep spending your time on those crafts, the kids will enjoy it :)

    If I was a teacher I would love to craft all of that great stuff. I'll just live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea so much! I'm going to make one for my sister's classroom this weekend. I'd love to see more of your ideas!! :)

    ReplyDelete