Monday, June 18, 2012

DIY Burlap Invitations

I am co-hosting an engagement party in July for one of our friends, so this will probably be the first of a few posts featuring the DIY things that I am making for the party. I had an idea in my mind for what I wanted the invitations to look like that fit with the theme we were going for, but I couldn't find anything that fit exactly what I wanted. Therefore, I decided to make the invitations from scratch and here is a little tutorial about how I did it...


My main goal was to incorporate burlap into the invitation somehow, but still keep it classy :)


You will need...
1. Burlap
2. Ivory cardstock
3. Navy cardstock
4. Shape puncher
5. Paper cutter (or scissors)

First, I printed off the invitations on the ivory cardstock. I created the monogram on the computer and printed them off on the ivory cardstock as well. Using a paper cutter, I cut the invitations to the size I wanted. I cut the navy cardstock a little bigger than the actual invitations because I used it as a background matting for the invite. Using the shape puncher, I cut the monograms into the quatrefoil shape shown.

I cut strips of burlap big enough to wrap around the entire invitation. First, attach the burlap to the invitation. (I used scrapbook mounting squares) Then, attach the monogrammed shape on top of the burlap. Finally, attach the invitation to the navy backing.

...and ta-da! Your burlap invitations are ready to be mailed. I recommend picking out the envelopes that you want to use before you make the actual invitations so that you can make sure that they will fit into the envelope. This was an easy and cheap way to make some great looking invitations...if I do say so myself :) Move over Martha Stewart!

3 comments: