Monday, July 25, 2011

Weekend Recap

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! Even though ours was not that exciting, it was still a nice relaxing weekend. As the summer winds down and I get closer and closer to the start of another school year, I am trying to cherish every moment that I have left of summer. Yes, I love my job and yes, I'm super excited about football season, but I'm secretly dreading going back to school just a little bit. While my job is fun and rewarding, it is also physically and emotionally draining. The good thing about being a teacher is that we get lots of little random breaks during the year, so every time I'm starting to get burnt out on work we usually have holiday break or day off. I now know how teachers manage to make it through year after year of crazy kids.

This weekend was so nice because we did not have any plans, no where to go and nothing that we had to get done. On Friday night, we went to dinner at Carrabba's (my favorite) and then down to St. Augustine. I love the bars and restaurants in St. Augustine, but I really hate walking around there at night. There's always tons of weird, sketchy-looking people and homeless people all just hanging out in the streets and alley-ways.

Jared and I had some sangria at a bar that Casey and I discovered the last time she was in town called Taberna del Gallo. You can read more about it in my blog: Drink Around the Oldest City. This bar is even more fun at night because it's where all the people who work as re-enactment characters in St. Augustine come at night to drink. So all those people who give tours of St. Augustine dressed up like conquistadors and pirates come to this bar and they drink with you and sing the traditional drinking songs of the sailors from that time period. It's very entertaining and historical, which I love of course.

On Saturday morning, Jared and I took the Gheenoo out for a booze cruise. If you don't know what a Gheenoo is you can read all about it in my blog: The Gheenoo. Jared was going golfing that afternoon so we didn't have a lot of time to spend out on the water. We decided not to do any fishing and just cruise around out on the river and in the little creeks. I actually enjoy booze cruising in the Gheenoo because the sides of the boat are so close to the water. It just feels like you are floating on top of the water on your own because there is literally no boat around you, just underneath you.


After cruising in the boat for a little while, we docked at Outback Crab Shack and had some lunch. This restaurant is right on the Six Mile Creek so you can just pull your boat up and go in for some food. Every time we go out in the boat we always stop in at Outback Crab Shack for some fried goodness :)


If you ever spend any time in the outdoors with my husband, you will quickly realize that he knows a lot about wildlife...seriously, a lot. This may have something to do with growing up in The Keys or the fact that his family used to go on a lot of outdoorsy-vacations when he was a kid. I swear to you he can identify any and every creature that you come in contact with in the wild. When we are in the boat cruising along the shore, I feel like I am on a wildlife safari. Every single bird that flies by, he can name it. And not just the general type of bird, like that's an ibis, but very specific, like that's a snowy ibis because it has black legs...and I swear to you he does not sit at home studying bird guides all the time, he just knows it.

Not to mention the fact that he can spot creatures in the water and in the bushes that I would have never noticed in a million years. We could be 20 yards from the shore, going pretty fast and he'll be like, "oh look at that baby (insert fancy name of turtle here) turtle on the log over there"...and all you can see is the little turtle head just barely poking up from the log. So whenever we are out in the wilderness or on the boat, I test him. I just point at random birds and turtles and say, "what's that?", "what's that?"...and he knows the specific name for every single animal! Not only can he name it, but he can given me an explanation as to why that is a hawk and not an osprey. While I think this talent of his is kind of funny, I'm absolutely fascinated that one person can just know so much information about wildlife and it's not even a job or a hobby for him, just something he happens to know. Plus, I always like learning new things :)


After our outing in the Gheenoo, Jared went golfing with his fraternity brothers for the afternoon so I went home and did some scrapbooking/drinking/watching Sex & the City. It was a delightful afternoon :)  


Sunday was our lazy day because it rained most of the day. I did manage to get some new scrapbooking stuff from Michael's and a new book that I am going to start reading today.

I am off work today but I have to work on some stuff for my online class. While I love online classes because they are easy and convenient, I always have big assignments due on Mondays which I of course don't start until the day they are due because I'm a procrastinator. So as if Mondays weren't bad enough already, I am always spending my Monday working on some ridiculous paper for one of my online classes. Boo.

1 comment:

  1. We had the same no plans weekend and it was much needed. I've been wanting to go to St. Augustine for a while now! I can't believe there is only a few more weeks left of summer, I feel the same way about going back!

    ReplyDelete